Red mite

• 5 Replies

vichope74

Red mite
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:43 »
I am a total newbie to keeping chickens.  So new in fact that they haven't even arrived yet.  However through all my research I am well aware of the problem of red mite.  I guess winter is not such a problem time, but should I routinely 'treat' my wooden house  eg spray it.  I know you are meant to go out in the dark with a torch and inspect but think that might give me nightmares seeing all the wee beasties zooming around.  Also what are the best products and can anyone say wether routine treatment with tea tree oil helps - a local poultry keeper says he uses this.  A million questions but am really dreading an infestation. 

ehs284

Re: Red mite
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 20:02 »
We use Barrier Red Mite powder for the birds and spray for the coop. When we got our birds they were infested and it got rid of them without trouble. Now we have a preventative dust and spray every 6 weeks. There are other brands, it's just that the shop stocked this one and we're happy. Tea tree oil is a bit expensive and there are concerns about human health (although it was until recently thought to be effective and safe). There are lots of posts and threads on this forum, so have a browse. No real need to go out at night, if you have a serious problem then a close look at the birds will find a few at any time of the day as some don't manage to leave the birds at the end of the night. Don't panic. Check the pictures for their size and shape. They move quickly so that is both a clue and a problem. If you're not happy with insects, wear gloves and tuck your sleeves into the gloves. Have fun and get your camera ready for when the now white chooks shake themselves and try to look both dignified and accusative at the same time.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 20:50 »
Welcome Vichope 74,

If your house is new and your stock from a reputable source it's unlikely that Red Mite will become a problem until the Spring.  That's the good news.  In a completely clean house a good cleaning regime and the use of Diatomaceous Earth will probably serve you. You can sprinkle the powder in the nestboxes and under the litter or do as I do since I'm paranoid about causing a dusty environment and paint on a slurry.  Use a chicken safe disinfectant (Vanodine V18) diluted with water and a little added washing up liquid and add the Diatom to form a light batter.  Paint on all surfaces of the perches and into corners in the nest boxes and house.  Diatom works by dehydration and as they can't live in the powder.  What you are doing is denial of harbourage.  Red Mite live in the house not on the bird which they only visit at night.  Only in really bad infestations will you find RM on a bird in the day time.  My belief is that the only way Barrier RM powder would be effective is similar to Diatom or any dust (though not as dehydrating) and its many times more expensive though it smells nice.  It contains a mozzy repellant Citrodiol which has been proven effective on humans against mozzies.  Red Mite aren't even insects and chx aren't humans so this repellant is unproven against RM, though as I've said the powder is as effective as any dust would be.  I haven't found the Barrier spray to be effective at all though if you are troubled with mozzies it works on you.  Barrier sell effectively the same product in the horse market though labeled differently as fly spray and with avocado oil added for the horses coat.  The powder is the same as that labeled louse powder which again is aimed at horses and has avocado oil added.  In other words it's expensive perfume for chx and there are more effective and cheaper products.  For example diatom and a proper insecticide such as Milbenex which is longer lasting though I wouldn't use this in a first instance without there's a stubborn infestation.  See the stickies on RedMite and you will find a lot of advice on hygeine and products to use but good husbandry and cleaning regime is the first line of defence.

If you want to know what to look out for here's a photo to get the regulars itchy.  The perch end is approx 35mm across to give you some scale.

Best of luck
HF
Red Mite.jpg
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 20:53 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 21:12 »
I'm itching! Had to click for a closeup as wel!! :D ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 22:12 »
me too  :lol: :lol:, brilliant photo though
Staffies are softer than you think.

vichope74

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 10:10 »
Dear ehs254 and Hillfooter,

Many thanks for those tips, I will definately take your advice!!  HF - your photo made me gag, but yes best to know what I am looking for.  I am not a particularly squemish person, am used to keeping animals and can deal with worms, ticks etc no probs but for some reason the RM is something I am really dreading so will try and really keep on top of it.   Vx

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
red mite

Started by I love my chucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 19:39
by newChickenMummy

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 37 queries.