all girls stopped laying

• 9 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
all girls stopped laying
« on: August 19, 2014, 20:41 »
I have been keeping chickens for a few years now and egg production fluctuates. Sometimes lots almost always at least one but for the past week none. There are 9 girls of varying age,  breed (not hybrids) and size (5 bantams). Some are in first laying year.
I have searched the garden (they free range) - nothing. They all seem well and happy and go to bed happily. I have checked the redmite are not returned but no sign. What could be wrong? or is it time of year. Never been like this before.

BabbyAnn

Re: all girls stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25 »
I wonder if the weather has had something to do with it?  We seem to have gone from very warm and sunny to cloudy. wet, windy and dropping temperatures.  One of my (year 1 hybrid) girls has been a bit sporadic all summer but recently even the other 3 are not as productive.  I'm currently worming them just to tick the box as done and to see if this makes any difference (the first time I wormed them the shift in egg production was amazing even though the girls looked happy and healthy before)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:37 »
Are they going into a moult?  Ours mould around this time of year and egg production stops.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28 »
mine have slowed down too - mind you 1 is broody and 2 are living out of their run so probably laying in the fields somewhere. The only time I see them is first thing in the morning when they come back to eat and again in the afternoon when it's treat time.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:03 »
Some are moulting, I have wormed, I guess it could be the weather or a combination of all and coincidence all happens together. Just very unusual to have no eggs for so long from 9 chickens

splash101

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 16:02 »
Could anything be taking the eggs?

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 18:59 »
My friend was nonplussed when all her hens seemingly stopped laying at once. She did a thorough search of the garden and found 30 eggs hidden in the pampas grass. They must copy each other  :D

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 19:23 »
I have crawled under brambles, behind nettles and in behind bushes but no sign! Am PUZZLED. I am sure nothing is stealing eggs.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 13:09 »
woohooo One tiny bantam egg in nest box this morning. There is still much moulting going on - looks like a pillow fight in the coop in the mornings.

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 11:16 »
woohooo One tiny bantam egg in nest box this morning. There is still much moulting going on - looks like a pillow fight in the coop in the mornings.

That's your answer then! I could stuff a mattress with feathers at the moment. I have 29 hens and only 5 are laying the rest are in moult as is my cockerel, who looks very similar to a Transylvanian naked neck!

xx
now the old girls have stopped laying

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 22:00
by treacleminer
xx
girls stopped laying

Started by bovverd66 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 12:48
by Casey76
xx
new girls stopped laying

Started by ruthsamuel2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 20:55
by ruthsamuel2
xx
Girls stopped laying

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 14:47
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.