blueberry bushes - starting them off

• 8 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
blueberry bushes - starting them off
« on: February 27, 2012, 21:55 »
Hi there

I really want to grow blueberries this year in pots, in my garden.  I have read plenty on how to look after them, the only thing I am unsure of is when to plant them, and not sure on how big the roots get, so what size pot to get is my main query.  I bought two today, they are about 7inches in height earliblue variety.  If I get them potted this week, will they be okay to go outside with a fleece on? or if not, howabout in an unheated greenhouse, and will they be like seedlings, just keeping the soil damp with collected rainwater.  If you were me what size pots would you get?

Many Thanks
amanda ???

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Re: blueberry bushes - starting them off
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 22:26 »
Hi Amanda

I bought three new blueberry plants this year and will be planting into 45litre trugs in ericeaceous compost.
The plants arrived in 6 inch pots and are about 1 foot tall. They arrived from the soft fruit company a few weeks ago and they were put in my cold greenhouse. They are fit and doing well even after the -temps we had recently.
Once planted up they will be hardened off then taken to the allotment.
Jazz :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 22:28 by jazzbyrd »
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 22:39 »
Mine arent in pots, they are in some compost in plastic bags.  I will put in 6 inch pots and take to the allotment greenhouse at weekend, then be brought back to go in the garden and put in pretty pots, in mid April?  Is that the right track?

thanks Jazz
Amanda 

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 22:57 »
Hi again

Blueberries are very hardy. You could plant them up Into their final pots now and put them outdoors. If you are a bit worried you could cover them with fleece for a bit if it turns cold again....I think they will be fine.

Jazz

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 23:01 »
Just get the bushes into any sized pot for now and keep lightly watered. Doesn't matter if they're in the greenhouse or outside, they're very tough plants and can take the cold.

But soon you'll need to replant into bigger pots so you might as well plant them into the largest pots you can find/buy. The 45L ones sound about right for now. If the roots eventually outgrow this pot, you can repot into still larger pots.

Earlieblue is a highbush variety and will eventually hit 5 ft tall and about 3 ft wide, so a decent sized pot is a must, same with the ericaceous compost and regular feedings every 2-3 weeks with acidic fertilizer or chicken manure tea. And very regular watering is crucial. Blueberries like it damp, not soggy.

Here's more pot care info:  http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Growing-Blueberries-in-Pots

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:09 »
thanks for this, oh my, I had no idea they grew this big!!?  Are they nice and sweet?

How long will it take to get this stage?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13 »
Mine seem to add about nine inches a year to their heigth and width.

I have a few at the plot which do not seem to be growing as fast, but they were just twigs when I planted them and are now a few branches. Thye did take a bit of a battering when our fence broke though

The three are home in pots do really well and give us a continuous supply of sweet juicy fruit from late summer on. Wouldn't be with out them.

They are in ericaceous compost and get slow release azalea food pellets in March every year.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:20 »
I started mine of in 10Lt pots first year, moved up to 25Lt second and then on to 45Lt ones. Had some fruit in second year, more in third and expecting lots this year (fourth). I understand that you get better crops by having different varieties- I have three.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 15:33 »
Blueberries are sort of self fertile but really do better with at least one other variety around that flowers about the same time.

Growth height is a bit slowish while they develop their root systems, but once developed, you'll eventually need to prune the top growth to improve cropping. Check youtube for blueberry pruning videos.

And do net them. Birds adore blueberries   >:(

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 00:42
by Trillium
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 10:23
by chrissie B
xx
£1 blueberry bushes

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 10:05
by aelf

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 35 queries.