New chicken introduction

• 1 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
New chicken introduction
« on: June 18, 2011, 13:44 »
Hi
I finally got my chicken coop a couple of weeks ago and last saturday we got 2, 12 week old chickens there were only 2 available or we would have got more then, anyway we got 3 more today same age, is introducing them going to be really bad  :unsure: they are seperate in a run in the garden at the moment but later today they will have to go in together also will it make any difference that they are all different breeds?

bantam novice

Re: New chicken introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 18:34 »
Hello Vanessa and welcome to the forum  :)

I am not an expert and I'm sure more experienced people will be along to advise you. 

If you got them from the same supplier I would be inclined to pop the new hens on the perch in the same house as the resident hens at night then let them out in the morning. 

You will get some squabbling for pecking order, which can become quite nasty.  Have some purple spray handy to use on any raw or red patches.  This disguises the colour (which attracts pecking) and acts as an antiseptic.

If your new hens came from a different supplier I would keep them separate for at least two weeks, preferably where they can see each other during the day and get used to each other then put them all in together after that.  This is so they can be quarentined if they have any nasties that they can pass on to your resident hens.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)

By the way we love pictures on this forum so if you can post some that would be great  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Introduction of a NEW Hen

Started by stamford on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 19:55
by stamford
xx
Re-introduction of hen

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 21:14
by trinacooke
question
Broody Hen Introduction

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 18:44
by joyfull
xx
Introduction and help plz (update)

Started by leon-dom on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 09:50
by Beano

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 34 queries.