Shed conversion

• 9 Replies

rainie

Shed conversion
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:40 »
Hi, I have just accepted an offer of a free non rotten wooden shed, its1.5m x 2.5m with a sloping roof. My chicken shed is on its way out and amplanning to convert this 'new' shed'. I have 3 chucks at the moment, but it does vary as i take on chucks which happen to come my way.

My one reservation of using it is the fact it is not raised off the ground. But, I think i can do something about this by making some posts into the ground and a platform. So, how high form the ground would you all recommend? (I will attach the shed to the platform).

What do you treat the wood in? And how long after treating it do you allow chucks to go to bed in it.

Any ideas for designing the interior.  Was planning to put the metal dustbin in there with the food in and also stand the bale of shavings in there too, and put a shelf up for the small containers.

Any suggestions for making winter easier and kinder for chucks. I have no electricity where it is going. I carry buckets of water to the area.

I do my best to keep the rodent population under control.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 17:37 by Ice »
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Re: Shed convertion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 16:30 »
Ooh, lucky you!

Cuprinol do an insect friendly wood preservative which might also be chook friendly. (I found this out from my beekeeping buddies.) Sling them an e-mail and they should be able to give you a yay or nay. If the latter they might have some good ideas- it's worth their time doing this so they can then go on to sell/develop other chicken friendly products. If you want to get seriously organic the Romans used to use olive oil (the last crappy pressing not the extra virgin stuff) on their woodwork. Should you or a close friend find themselves driving through Spain, S France or Italy you could probably pick up a vat of the stuff for a few euros. Might have an interesting time at customs, but hey, think of the memories.

Re shelves - try to have a layer of chicken wire as a door. OH has lost no end of fish bait because he won't believe me when I tell him my girls can jump - although how they can move with what they put away... And cover the bale, at least with a heavy duty plastic because my bales get used as spare nesting/sleeping/look out areas and loos. And have a lock! And good luck.

Pertelotte

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Shed conversion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 19:52 »
I was going to mention putting a door on the shelves too.  My coop is a converted bus shelter - fantastic because it's easily high enough for me to walk in for cleaning etc. 

Anyway I hung one of those metal shower caddies from the highest point to hold a few jars and bits & pieces.  But my Phoebe somehow gets up there and sleeps on top of the dolomite jar!  If it's the highest point, she will find a way to get to it!  It's really cute until she poos on everything else on the shelf.  :tongue2:

So I have ended up removing the shelf until I can work out a better solution.

(I keep the bits & pieces in the drawers of their Queen Ann dressing table instead.)

evie2

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 20:52 »
Oh Lind, how posh are you ;) :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:57 »
Oh Lind, how posh are you ;) :D

I know!  :D  I got it off Freecycle and couldn't believe it when I saw it!  The woman who was giving it away knew what I wanted it for, and I expected to see some run-down wobbly bit of furniture.  Instead the girls got a lovely white dresser with hand-painted gold detailing to put their nest boxes on!  :lol: 

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:04 »
Here's an attempt at posting a pic...

29 Jan pic4sm.jpg

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26 »
Very nice Lindeggs.
It's short of a mirror so they know where to puff the Diatom ;)

Vecten

• Experienced Member
Re: Shed convertion
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:54 »
If you want to get seriously organic the Romans used to use olive oil (the last crappy pressing not the extra virgin stuff) on their woodwork. Should you or a close friend find themselves driving through Spain, S France or Italy you could probably pick up a vat of the stuff for a few euros. Might have an interesting time at customs, but hey, think of the memories.
Pertelotte

Have a word with your local chip shop.

rainie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 13:03 »
Here's an attempt at posting a pic...

nice one.  :D  The chucks will be asking for their nails to be painted soon.  :D

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 13:24 »
Alright for some, eh?  :happy:

Seriously jealous. Love the table - didn't know they needed their own boudoirs    :D :D

xx
Shed conversion pic

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 18:44
by Lynda_T
xx
New Shed

Started by jamima on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 16:17
by jamima
xx
how many in a shed

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 21:07
by too many girls
xx
6x4 shed

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 09:59
by happychickens

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 37 queries.