Re-introduction of hen

• 3 Replies

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Re-introduction of hen
« on: February 05, 2009, 20:28 »
Hi all My hens were doing really well! up until today when Sage My mixed breed hen started bleeding on her foot - she had layed an egg this morning and when I collected it I found blood on the house floor - only a little so I thought I would leave well alown.

When I went to check the chooks this afternoon her foot was dripping and the other 3 hens were chasing around her pecking at her foot  >:(

I picked her up to check what was going on and it was one of her toes (top of) one of her foot feathers looked like it had been twisted back and it was bleeding at the base - so I removed her and bathed her foot as she was rather muddy! she was very calm bless her and seemed to enjoy this!  ::)

What I have done is put her in one of my spare rabbit hutches (large one in my rabbitry) rabbits thought it was a bit strange though! ??? for the night hoping the bleeding will stop by the morning she was in her element gobbling down the layer pellets, grass and corn that I gave her and settled in really well for the night!

After that long winded post what I would like to ask is ..... how long is it safe to leave her seperated?? would tomorrow night be the best time to lock her in the house with the others so she bonds again? or will it be ok just to pop her back in in the morning (if her foot is ok).  :) she is bottom ranking hen I think as she avoids the others a bit and is a bit of a loner, but doesnt usally get bullied.

Thanks  :D Trina
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Re: Re-introduction of hen
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 20:45 »
They are usually fine for a few days.  If the toe carries on bleeding, can you put the rabbit run next to your chicken run so the others can see her but not get to her?

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42 »
You could try purple spray as the hens don't go for that colour like they do red, it will also help with healing. Or teatree antiseptic as they don't like the taste.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 21:14 »
Thankyou for the relpies  :) I put 'Sage' back in with the other girs this afternoon as her foot was better - all seems ok I put in a load of scraps for them and every body got stuck in together!

Will keep an eye on them but ta for the answers!  ;)

Trina

xx
Introduction of a NEW Hen

Started by stamford on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 19:55
by stamford
xx
Introduction of new hens!!!

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 21:51
by bantam novice
question
Broody Hen Introduction

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 18:44
by joyfull
xx
New chicken introduction

Started by vanessa.xx on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 18:34
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 32 queries.