My peppers and tomatoes have wilted

• 24 Replies

andyw

• Experienced Member
My peppers and tomatoes have wilted
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:55 »
I had the heater on in the greenhouse lastnight and checked all was well this morning.  I've had the heater running this morning still with the door and window shut, but when I checked about 15 minutes ago nearly 80% of the peppers and about 50% of the tomato plants are hanging over with the leaves touching the compost.  The temperature in the greenhouse was 37c until I opened the door and window.  Has either the frost or the heat this morning killed some of these off?  I'm a little bit annoyed as they were doing really well  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: My peppers and tomatoes have wilted
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06 »
Could be either.

I have a heated greenhouse, but won't consider putting my plants in there until April.

Tomatoes need a minimum temp of 10C and will cook at almost 100F!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mrs mud

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09 »
How big are they ? my toms and peppers are only 2 inches high and keep bending and straightening again, I assumed it was the sun as they are on kitchen windowsill.  I do know from past experience they can wilt in high temps even when fully grown but mine always perked up again.
"Potters always play dirty!"

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09 »
that is about 37c which is what the greenhouse was even if it was just an hour, I've some others that are in a propagator still,  but it's still a shame if they die.

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:11 »
Only about 1.5 inches, I guess if they don't pick up by the afternoon then they're dead?
How big are they ? my toms and peppers are only 2 inches high and keep bending and straightening again, I assumed it was the sun as they are on kitchen windowsill.  I do know from past experience they can wilt in high temps even when fully grown but mine always perked up again.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:12 »
Doesn't sound very likely that they have been frosted!

They have probably wilted in the heat, and should pick up - they won't have enjoyed either the high temperatures or the sudden cooling off.

What sort of heater is it? If electric you would benefit your plants and your electricity bill by fitting a plug-in thermostat - an automatic vent opener would also help to avoid excessive temperatures, especially when you're not there to keep an eye on things.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:13 »
We had a frost here last night!

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:14 »
We did to, but I had the electric heater on, if it was the cold can I expect them all to die?  They've gone from cold to hot in a very short time.
We had a frost here last night!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22 »
If the temperature shot up that fast this morning I think it very unlikely they were frosted last night with the heater on.

belt = thermostat, braces = auto vent opener!  :)

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:48 »
Ok thanks.  I've just checked and they have perked up a little.  When it's gets warmer can you leave the door and window open over night?
If the temperature shot up that fast this morning I think it very unlikely they were frosted last night with the heater on.

belt = thermostat, braces = auto vent opener!  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:59 »
With the likes of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers you've got to aim to keep the temperature no lower than around 10C, but no higher than around 30C - obviously this presents different challenges at different times of year, and your general location and your greenhouse's particular location will have a bearing on it too.

A max/min thermometer obviously helps keep track of what is happening in there, but the exact combination of opening and closing routines needs to be learned by experience of the changing seasons and day-to-day weather.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:02 »
All too true. It was 0 overnight in my (unheated) glasshouse but it was 38C at 8am.
I've just started the out during the day and in at night thing for my toms peppers and Aubs   ::)

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08 »
I always knew that this was to be a steep lerning curve, so if does not turn out to be a good season for me at least I will be able to start next year with some experience.

Also my greenhouse seem to be above 30c already when the sun is out!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:11 by andyw »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14 »
Don't worry unduly about it - the keyword is "aiming" to hit the temperature target - not many of us are perfect shots (certainly not me!) and most plants are fairly forgiving as long as they're not subjected to real extremes (I exclude cucumbers from that generalisation though!  :nowink:)

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:22 »
I can confirm that they all look ok now.  Many thanks.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.