Finally...

• 13 Replies

fd01

Finally...
« on: May 22, 2012, 23:11 »
Finally got my chickens!

I have a trio of Light Sussex bantams that i collected on Friday, and a quartet of Golden Hamburg bantams i picked up on Sunday. Already had nine eggs from the five hens so i'm over the moon.

I also have 5x 6 week old Light Sussex and 5x 6 week old Golden Hamburg chicks that i'm keeping in a double rabbit hutch for a few more weeks.

Questions -

How long should i leave the chicks in the hutch?
Wing clipping - how many feathers do you clip?

Hopefully most of the chicks will turn out to be hens but inevitably some will be cock birds..i'll be looking to rehome them in the swap shop so keep an eye out!

F

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Finally...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:58 »
I have some 6 weeks old chicks in a hutch which broody but they also have access to a run.  They freerange each day under supervision and get their flying practice in.   ::)  They got through into our large hen enclosure yesterday and the big hens weren't over bothered.  They have been able to see them as they have grown from small chicks so that might make a difference.

I have never clipped wings so hopefully another member will advise you on that.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on getting your hens and don't forget to post some photos when you have time.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

fd01

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46 »
Hi, thanks for the welcome and reply.

The only issue is i do not have an enclosed run for them to wander out into, only an open top 15x10 run for the Sussex and a 10x10 run for the Golden Hamburghs. I have moved the hutch outside but into a shaded area under a big tree due to this amazing weather but on a night the hutch goes into the chicken shed where the Sussex roost so they should have been getting to know eachother....i hope! I'm worried about them flying 'cause when i went to collect them, i had to catch them and made a complete idiot of myself when i opened the box to put another in and they all flew out  :blush:

I shall ask the allotment holder along from me if he has a rabbit/ferret run i can put the chicks into in the daytime, 10 chicks in a double rabbit hutch screams 'battery hen' to me  :tongue2:

Also, picked up another 4 eggs today. I love it!!

j00les

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21 »
wow your going to be busy !!! :D :D :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 19:04 »
You could try putting all your adult birds in together in the larger run and the chicks in the other.  ;)

fd01

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 13:11 »
I've been busy. Removed a window and replaced it with chicken wire for the summer, and let the chicks out into the main shed in the daytime. Made myself a new chicken house this morning before it got too hot, safe to say i was still sweating like a good 'un! So the Sussex hens and cockerel will live in there for the time being until the chicks are up and able to join their adoptive families.

I have a 20x30m allotment to play with!!!   :happy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 15:29 »
Well done, you deserve a rest and time to watch their antics now.   ;)

fd01

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 18:28 »
Quick update.

Chicks now coming up 8 weeks old..maybe older, and have almost doubled in size since they came. We clipped the wings the other day and let them out for the first time. They're great to watch playing and scratching around, and they love the bugs.

Getting two eggs per day from the POL hens which i'm chuffed about, one brown and one white egg.

Rats in abundance!!!! Really annoying actually, they're everywhere. The feed and water is hung up so hopefully they shouldn't be able to get in, but the chickens still can. There was a pile of old pots and boxes in the shed that we sorted through to get rid of the broken bits. You knew when a rat had ran out 'cause my mum let out a yelp everytime :lol:

So air rifles, traps and terriers will be out in force this weekend.

F

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 22:22 »
Glad your chicks and hens are coming along nicely.

Sorry to hear about the rat problem, happy hunting!   ;)

fd01

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 23:10 »
Hi ANHBUC, i did try with the air rifle but the pellet missed and ricocheted off the concrete back at me so i put it away  :tongue2: so the terriers were deployed and accounted for nine in the end. I saw twice as many the other day but i'm happy with that. I had to use my nextdoor neighbours terriers but in a months time my lakelandxborder terrier pup will be here to join the springers in an all action hunting team  8)

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 19:48 »
I know where to come if I need the services of a good rat catcher then.   ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 20:05 »
Can you export the neighbours dogs here please? 
 :D
Thanks

Pamela

j00les

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 20:23 »
wow u have been busy busy busy  :tongue2:

fd01

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 21:51 »
"Who you gunna call??? FD01!!" Doesn't have the same ring  :lol:

j00les - yep, had the council putting pressure on to get it sorted out so went for it. They're content now, aslong as they're happy eh  ::)

xx
Finally !

Started by nickiit2003 on Chicken Chat

24 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 16:47
by nickiit2003
xx
Finally

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 17:17
by chuckmad
xx
can we come in, we finally took the plunge

Started by Beetroot queen on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 07:54
by Beetroot queen
xx
Yeah Finally an egg

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 07:55
by nerdle

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 28 queries.