Minipop Sweetcorn?

• 42 Replies

Growster...

Re: Minipop Sweetcorn?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 07:33 »
they're in a block spaced around a foot apart and have started 'fattening' up so I've left them to see what happens - no harm in trying I suppose  ;)
[/quote]

VegGirl7, they do grow to a reasonable size, but the cobs do not form luscious yellow kernels, they're very small, but taste OK. The texture is very chewy, and reminds me of eating Muesli for the first time...

As we only finished up with a dozen or so, (badgers), we ate two and just froze the lot.

It was my fault really, we found we had a spare bed, and just bought them from the garden centre on a whim. I even noticed that they were stir-fry ones, but wrongly assumed that they would grow into bigger cobs!

I'll try harder next year...

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 16:30 »
VegGirl7, they do grow to a reasonable size, but the cobs do not form luscious yellow kernels, they're very small, but taste OK. The texture is very chewy, and reminds me of eating Muesli for the first time...

oh well - I will have to grow proper corn next year (I did have some started this year but the cat got into the spare room and munched her way through the normal ones  :mad:  so I only had enough of the mini to plant out) 

If the taste is OK do you think I could make a soup from them - blended and strained through a fine sieve?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 19:24 »
To be honest the full sized cobs we ended up with by mistake the first year we grew mini-pop (all the same mistakes listed  :lol: ) were not just touch but pretty tasteless too, so I am not sure they would make decent soup.

Now of course I cut off the male flowers ate the top (tassels) as per MumofStig's drawing above, and pick the developing cobs at any stage up to about an inch & a half across. They are delicious.

This year I am picking them as soon as possible because voles shinny up and eat into them, and have found that removing the leaf directly underneath the cob makes it easier to remove the cob and them strip off the outer casing and silks.

And the old stems make useful supports for peas the following year    (Cut off and moved to where needed of course, not in the same place  :lol:)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 19:39 »
And the old stems make useful supports for peas the following year    (Cut off and moved to where needed of course, not in the same place  :lol:)

At least I'll get something useful from them    ;) :D

Growster...

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28 »
Sorry we're all in the same boat, VegGirl, but there's always next year!

Like the idea of using this year's stalks for pea sticks CQ, that makes a lot of sense, as they take years to rot down!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06 »

Like the idea of using this year's stalks for pea sticks CQ, that makes a lot of sense, as they take years to rot down!

'Twas I, Le Clerk  :lol: :lol:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32 »

I like that idea too - now if only my head retains that snippet when I am up there chopping the stalks down...

Growster...

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 10:43 »

Ooops! Sorry, CQ, I have a cold...(Old Monty Python excuse...)!

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 21:51 »

Indeed there is  :D

should I wait for the plants to 'die back' before cutting the stems?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 22:15 »
I just cut them once the cobs are finished and let them dry (If they are not already dry) Sometimes it takes a bit of effort to cut through them at the base.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 23:15 »
I just cut them once the cobs are finished and let them dry (If they are not already dry) Sometimes it takes a bit of effort to cut through them at the base.

I shall do the same, thanks!   :)

veggyNinja

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 11:52 »
Appreciate this thread is years old, but I just started growing stuff this year and minipop was the first thing I started with, alongside some kind of kale.

I just picked my first cob from one of my plants to take a look, and see how well I did working out when to pick it. The sweetcorn cob was very green looking, and to my ignorant eyes actually looked immature like I picked it too early. The size of the cob, as it appeared on the plant, compared to the recommended size mentioned in this thread suggests it was more likely to have been picked late. I am assuming the size mentioned is the size of the corn including sheath, and possibly also silks?

Does minipop go a kind of green colour when it has been picked too late, or have I somehow managed to pick it too early? I'm trying to figure out what to do with the rest that are on the other plants.

Despite the green look, it actually tasted okay just not quite what you would expect if picked at the right time. I want to do my best with what's left and then get my notes in order and make sure I know what to try and do better next time.

IMG_20200714_111938718-COLLAGE.jpg

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2020, 17:51 »
They do look like you've picked them a bit late. You have to pick them when they are small and they "go over" in a blink of an eye... For me if the tassels have dried they've definitely been on the plant too long.

I normally open the outer leaves of the cob while it's still on the plant to check the size. If it's a bit small leave it for a day or two.

I find the best size is similar to those you can buy at great cost in the supermarkets. They do taste incredible if you get manage to get them at this size and cook them on the same day.

You have reminded me that I need to check mine when I next go to the plot!

xx
Minipop sweetcorn

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:05
by Trillium
xx
anyone grown minipop sweetcorn?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 21:22
by sunshineband
xx
Alternatives to minipop sweetcorn?

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 27, 2014, 18:33
by ryetek
xx
Baby Sweetcorn (Minipop)

Started by Pui on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 22:24
by Pui

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 39 queries.