Still no eggs!!

• 12 Replies

Andrew4613

Still no eggs!!
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:08 »
Hi everyone

I got my first lot of hens in half term (about 4 weeks ago) and the farmer said they were all about 14 weeks old.

I got a Sussex star, a bovans nera, a warren Babcock and a speckledy. Only the bovans is showing signs of a Combe. I was wondering how long I have to wait for an egg!!!!!

Loving having them but want an egg for my brekkie!

Cheers

Andy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Still no eggs!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:31 »
They may not lay until they are close to 35 weeks old - point of lay generally covers any age from 17 weeks through till then, although hybrids often start around 24 weeks old. Also being winter they may hold off until spring. My little ones that were hatched in May are just starting to lay now.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Andrew4613

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:17 »
Spring  :(

Gutted!!!!

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 13:44 »
Hi Andrew - they could start to lay any time from mid February onwards. That is when mine started last year after they had stopped laying for the winter - the longer days encourage them back into lay.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 19:28 »
Hi Andy,  Don't dispair.  I got 2 Bovan Goldlines at 20 weeks old on 30th December 2010 and they were already laying.  At the same time I got 4 Blackrocks at 12 weeks old and they did not lay until they were 26 weeks old.  The 2 BG's and 1 of the BR's are still laying but the other 3 BR's are in moult and stopped laying.  Will keep my fingers crossed that you get eggs in the next few weeks.   :blink:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Andrew4613

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:39 »
Had the delights of cleaning the girls out in full snow, hail sleet and gale force winds!! If that doesn't deserve just one egg I don't know what does!

Thanks for advice and support

Andy :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:43 »
oh the joys of keeping chickens in winter - this is the time of year when a lot of folks give up chicken keeping so hang on in there - it really is worth it  :D

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 12:53 »
there will come a day when your sick of the sight of eggs lol

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 14:00 »
Chickens sold as "Point of Lay" are usualy actualy 12 weeks old, which is just when they go onto layers food and look like, well, adult chickens.
Laying can be 14 weeks, but its much more likely to be 20 weeks.

As Axe said, this time next year, you'll be pleading with them to stop!
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 19:03 »
I got my 9 girls weeks and weeks ago and at the most I get 4 eggs a day, though usually its 2 or 3. I think Im lucky to get this number considering the time of year. Im so looking forward to getting over 6 a day, so that I can make my quiches, custards and still have enough to give to my hairdresser to pay for my cuts and perms.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 21:34 »
there will come a day when your sick of the sight of eggs lol
If ever there was a sentence that says it all  :blink:

The longer the wait, the better the suprise when you finely get one and the better it will taste.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

SMS6

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 21:39 »
I added a new chicken to my 3 back in October and she is about 30 weeks now but hasn't started to lay yet.  She's not a pure breed

My best laying Hybrid stopped weeks ago but she's moulting.  White Sussex also moulting so has stopped.  Maran moulted back in August and hasn't layed since but the first 3 produced over 100 eggs between them since the time we bought then in early June

I am trying to be philosophical and patient and just accept that I won't get anymore eggs until the new year

tstainesmoore

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 16:32 »
Hybrids which is what you have brought start to lay eggs for there first time when they are about 18 weeks old however as they are now the correct age to lay the time of year is wrong if they had started to lay about 4 weeks ago then they may lay throughout the winter but it is unlikely that they will start until mid january. i have over 300 hrbrids and when winter starts if they were not laying befor ehand then the chances of seeing eggs is slim.

POL (point of lay) also is a term that should be ignored as it does not clarify what age the bird is a bird could be for example 18 weeks old at point of lay but then it could also be 3 years old when the bird is point of lay as it will start to lay again soon.

Just wait till january then you will get loads of eggs

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 37 queries.