Vegetable Wine - How long?

• 6 Replies

crazypeanut

Vegetable Wine - How long?
« on: January 19, 2010, 22:23 »
Hi All.
Can any of you give me any guidance as to how long I should leave my vegetable wines before I try them out? I made some last Feb (Parsnip & Ginger, Celeriac and Beetroot and clove). Also how long could I leave them before they go off ?

Ta
Linda 

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
Re: Vegetable Wine - How long?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 23:37 »
Hi Linda

Best to leave them about a year - so yours should be ready now. I started last year and have not yet managed to resist "sampling" before a year to see how they are getting on, and before I know it they've been sampled out of existence.  :unsure:

So long as they are over 10% alcohol they should keep indefinitely.
Organic

crazypeanut

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 22:38 »
Hi Stoatus

"Fab". I come off being On Call tomorrow, so i will be cracking a bottle open!
Thanks for the info - Even though it's exciting I'm going to be worried they may taste hideous.

Would you know or give me some guidance on how long you would give Mint and Lavender Wines - I would have thought less time as they are lighter?

Thanks again

Linda

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:13 »
Would you know or give me some guidance on how long you would give Mint and Lavender Wines

I think a year is a still good guideline. I have not made herb wines but light wines such as hawthorn flower and bean pod definitely showed a marked improvement between 6 months (horrible) and 12 months (lovely). One thing I have started doing is to split one of the bottles into two or three smaller ones so it can be sampled on the way without having to sacrifice a whole bottle. Most wines are pretty disgusting in the early days!

Mielie Muncher

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:50 »
Hiya Linda,
                   As mentioned below by Stoatus, most veg wines require at LEAST 12 months to mature. Parsnip wine if left to mature for 3 years is fantastic. I know that to resist the temptation of sampling them can be difficult, but if you build up a supply each year you will have more to look forward to.  Have you tried Rhubarb wine?  It is fantastic. If you require a recipe than let me know, I found a really good one on the net and have been using it since.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Dereck

Thrift

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 07:18 »
I once made parsnip wine and after a year it was llike a good medium sherry, can't tell you how it tasted after two !!  ::)

I remember my parents talking about their rhubarb wine which was disgusting so stashed away under the thrall ( anyone remember those ?) in the pantry. Many years later, during the war, it was rediscovered when all other supplies were non existent and was superb.   :D :D

crazypeanut

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 21:52 »
I would love a decent Rhubarb Wine Recipe - I have managed muffins only but would welcome a wine recipe.
The Beetroot and Clove was nice but sweet so will cut back on the sugar for my next batch - think the same will be for the parsnip - I am also going to do what Stoatus suggested and keep smaller bottles for testing. Thankyou all for the feedback - It has given me more confidence to keep going.

lindax

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
More wine help please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 19:52
by grinling
xx
Wine from old jam.....

Started by jacnal on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 00:10
by wisp
xx
red wine help

Started by grinling on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 16:51
by grinling

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.