Potato - all top and no bottom

• 5 Replies
Potato - all top and no bottom
« on: December 28, 2020, 15:22 »
I am a beginner-ish.  I have been trying to grow first early Anya and Pink Fir Apple potato for the last 2 seasons in raised beds. Can anyone shed some light on why each plant puts on a huge (more than 8 foot long) top like a triffid, yet there are hardly any potato tubers below ground.  I have tried lifting at 100, 120 and 140 days.  The tops don't like to turn yellow either, keeping their green till the death (or I get fed up and I pull them up).  The only success I had was in 2 tubs where the tops where more limited and there were reasonable tubers at 100-ish days.

Any ideas would be very welcome....
Thanks in advance.
MW

Mintyboy

Re: Potato - all top and no bottom
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 17:49 »
Pink fir apple do need a very long growing season so even though they are classed as a main crop I tend to plant them the same time as the first earlies to give them as long as possible in the ground.
First in last out!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:43 by Mintyboy »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 18:13 »
Welcome to the forum  :)

This is a little odd. Are you feeding the ground with anything? How well are you keeping them watered - raised beds can dry out very quickly?

I agree that PFA has a long growing season, but Anya should be ready sooner, so there may well be something else going on.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 18:13 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 18:30 »
I'm wondering if there is a lot of Nitrogen in the soil, encouraging growth rather than tuber formation.

What fertiliser/manure have you added to the soil, and/or what medium did you use to fill the raised beds?

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 20:10 »
I think you have cracked it.  I added in a lot of home made compost and added chicken manure pellets when I was feeding the green vegetables.  Therefore I think I am seriously overdoing the N and I am way low on the K.

That's a plan then.  Third time lucky?
Thank you very much.
MW

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:34 »
:closedeyes: :closedeyes:Pink fir apple do need a very long growing season so even though they are classed as a main crop I tend to plant them the same time as the first earlies to give them as long as possible in the ground.
First in last out!
I plant all my potatoes - 1st and 2nd earlies and maincrop at the same time.  Usually around early to mid April here.  There is no need to plant maincrop later, they take longer to mature anyway

xx
All Top No Bottom

Started by Trussy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 18:44
by Parsnip
xx
bottom end rot

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 19:38
by chrissie B
xx
Are you a top or bottom?

Started by scentedstock on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 11:02
by purplebean
xx
Tomato Bottom End Rot

Started by andyjwill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 12:01
by doubledug

Page created in 1.629 seconds with 46 queries.