Help!!

• 7 Replies

ChiltonRob

Help!!
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:08 »
Hello all! I have just acquired an allotment which resembles a bomb sight. It measures (roughly) 10x50metres, of which approximately 3/4 is covered in derelict, unsafe buildings and assorted piles of glass, plastic, rotten wood, etc. There is some usable land, which I am clearing so that I can make a start. I can't afford to hire skips as this would defeat my economic objectives.
It's late spring and I'm concious that I need to grow something. What do you guys advise? What do you think my future strategy to tackle this site should be?
I would be most appreciative of any help you could offer as I'm a newcomer to all this!   

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24 »
Hi ChiltonRob,  welcome to the forums :)

Quite often at this time of year other allotment holders have extras that they don't know what to do with, so it could be worth your while to get to know your fellow allotment holders and let them know your situation - quite often they are more than happy to give extras to people.

failing that you could always take a trip to your local nursery to see if they have any inexpensive plants for sale but take it steady and don't try to clear more than you can feasibly work with.  do a bit at a time and do it well before moving on to the next bit

Good luck :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:26 »
Your local council might remove the rubbish for you if it is suitable bagged up.  Do be careful there is no asbestos amongst your rubble.

Welcome to the site by the way.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36 »
still time for peas, i swear by kelvedon wonder very fast growing, very good crop plus they help enrich the soil.

radishes, time for a few crops of them...

you could chance some beetroot too plenty of time for baby beetroot

best of luck with it, im clearing a new plot this year too

cheers CW

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:52 »
Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum and happy gardening. You probably want to get going as fast as you can but take things slowly at first - if you try to do too much you will ache, get tired and fed up - slow but sure is best.

First of all I would contact your allotment association or council to see if they would remove the rubbish - they probably wont particularly if you agreed to take the site as is. The next thing is to consider what is rubbish and what is not - could you use the wood to make raised beds, or the glass for cloches.

There are plenty of things that you can still grow at this time of year and I have attached a link to the growing charts which are available on this site. Within this is also a link to advice on clearing a new plot.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:54 »
That is a huge plot. Twice the size of a standard 10 pole allotment and 4 times the size of the plots being allocated by most allotment sites with waiting lists.

The useable land should be sufficient for you to grow things until you have cleared some more. Do it a bit at a time.

As for the rubbish. Burn the wood. Put glass, plastic metal etc into heaps out of the way. Take some each week to your local council facility or put a bag or two out for collection at your house. If there is too much for that you may need to pay for a skip.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:31 »
welcome!

i believe your 1st year will be the biggest and hard working time of your ownership if it was left unattended. divide the big plot into small sections and work each per week or when you get time. glass is handy to make cold frames or a small green house or ask anyone on the allotment if they want them. wood if good use it to make a coldframe with the glass or ask others how you can, i'm sure they'd be happy to help or make a compost bin with the left over wood. if rotten, burn it. any other rubble if you have a car off the tip, any weeds dig up huge clumps, in a bag and off the tip - don't separate the weeds and soil you'll just end up shaking roots back into the soil.

PG

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 13:04 »
greetings,i got my plot last may,it was over grown  but had old carpet just under the weeds(anyone can buy this carpet if they want lol)i cleared a bit at a time over the year,now i have about 10 useable plots ,as i am not young i did little and often but am very happy with the results this year, happy days.

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 29 queries.