Anyone used Pyrethrum insecticide ?

• 12 Replies

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Anyone used Pyrethrum insecticide ?
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:04 »
As it is based on flower extract is it more organic than some other sprays and does it work with Caterpillars and White fly ?

PAULW

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone used Pyrethrum insecticide ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 14:08 »
Yes I have a bottle of PY mix just dilute and spray you can hear the caterpillars scream before they die.

peterjf

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 14:25 »
hi , is your PY solution the same as pyrethrin ,

ive had a terrible year with wireworms on the plot ,

or anyone offering advice

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 16:58 »
Yes that is the label it is sold under.

PAULW

• Experienced Member

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 17:19 »
Hi Nash I work in a garden centre so get asked this 1 a lot.

It is based on a natural plant extract not a chemical as such
It is very very effective as a contact insecticide on all sorts of pests
You can treat crops more than once which is 1 up on a lot of pest sprays

But.......it is totally non selective so will wipe out any insect it touches so use with caution like any other insecticide and wash your produce before eating just as a precaution

New shoot  :)

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 19:21 »
Thanks for informative replies everyone.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 19:30 »
I also tried to get some club root powder today only to be told no longer available. :(

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50 »
I had some PY concentrate delivered today, the ratio to the amount of water in my 5 litre sprayer is not stated as it just says half fill the spray container with clean water, then remove cap above measuring container and gently squeeze to fill it then empty contents into sprayer.

I think it must be on about it's own sprayer that it sells but I dont have one, why dont they just state how much to add per litre of water !!!

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:01 »
Now I feel silly as it clearly states 10ml of PY per litre on the box, I must read things later in the day :blush:

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:40 »
There is some confusion between pyrethrum, which is made from flowers of certain chythanthemum plants, and pyrethroid insecticides, which contain permithrin, a man made chemical based on the chemical structure of natural pyrethrum. The first is short lived and organic, the second is persistant and not organic and toxic to cats. Manufacturers unfortunalely do not tell us this on their labels and in fact often play the safe pyrethrum card in their marketing blurb.

Does anyone know if you can buy organic plant derived pyrethrum? I think you mix it with soap solution?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:51 by Salmo »

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 13:01 »
I have answered my own question. I have looked up PY and it is a pyrethrum extract and therefore is organic. Label from www.pestech.com.au/pyreth.htm   is as below and gives dilution rates etc. Not sure what piperonyl butoxide is that it is mixed with? Does that make it not organic for the purists?

PY-BO
Natural Pyrethrum Insecticidal Concentrate
Active constituents: 80g/L PYRETHRINS, 480g/L PIPERONYL BUTOXIDE

For use on fruit and vegetable crops, cut flowers and ornamental plants for the control of insects as specified in the directions for use table. Approved input under the National Standards for Organic and Biodynamic Produce.

CONTENTS   5 20 litres

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
RESTRAINTS:
DO NOT spray if rain is expected within 2 hours
DO NOT use on young seedling.
DO NOT mist in windy conditions

Crop Pests Rate Critical Comments  
Fruit and vegetable crops, cut flowers and ornamental plants.  Aphids, ants, cabbage moth and other caterpillars, earwigs, leafhoppers, thrips, whiteflies. Mix 1ml to 1 litre water or 100ml to 100litres of water
 Mist or spray to contact the pests when infestation occurs. Thorough coverage of all foliage including undersurfaces is essential.

NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OR IN ANY MANNER CONTRARY TO THIS LABEL UNLESS AUTHORISED UNDER APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION.

WITHHOLDING PERIOD:
FRUIT AND VEGETABLES: DO NOT HARVEST FOR 1 DAY AFTER APPLICATION

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
APPLICATION
Shake the container before opening. Measure concentrate accurately into a small amount of water and stir/agitate this pre-mix thoroughly before adding to the full quantity of water. Do NOT mix more spray solution than you will need for the day. Do NOT mist in windy conditions. Application is best late in the day or early evening when bees and wasps are not present and because sunlight degrades the actives.
PROTECTION OF LIVESTOCK Dangerous to bees. DO NOT soray any plants in flower while bees are foraging.
PROTECTION OF WILDLIFE, FISH, CRUSTACEANS AND ENVIRONMENT: Do NOT contaminate streams, rivers, or waterways with chemical or used containers.
STORAGE AND DISPOSAL
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in the closed originalcontainer in a cool, well ventilated area. Do NOT store for prolonged periods in direct sunlight. Triple rinse containers before disposal. Add rinsings to spray tank. Do NOT dispose of undiluted chemicals on site. If recycling, replace cap and return clean containers to recycler or designated collection point. If not recycling, break, crush or puncture and bury empty containers in a Local Authority landfill. If not available, bury containers below 500mm in a disposal pit specifically marked and set up for this purpose, clear of waterways, desirable vegetation and tree roots.
Empty containers and product should not be burnt.
SAFETY DIRECTIONS
Repeated exposure may cause allergic disorders. Sensitive workers should use protective clothing. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Do not inhale vapour or spray mist. Wash hands after use.
FIRST AID: If poisoning occurs, get to a doctor or poisons information centre
(phone 13 11 26)
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
Additional information is listed in the Material Safety Data Sheet which can also be found on the website: www.pestech.com.au

NRA approval No 53738//0902

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 13:05 by Salmo »

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 17:18 »
Hi Salmo

I liked the look of it as it was derived from flowers and also that you could pick just 24 hrs later.

Organic and safe me hopes !

xx
Illigal insecticide is gone?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 17:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
Dursban insecticide

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 11:30
by adal
xx
Which type of insecticide

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 22:20
by jaws8
xx
Rhubarb based insecticide?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 14:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 40 queries.