What's going on?

• 6 Replies

carolbriar

What's going on?
« on: February 11, 2010, 13:15 »
My 28/29 week old light sussex who has not laid an egg yet, has started behaving differently over the last 2/3 days.  She was in and out of the coop the other morning and when I looked in on one occasion she was just sitting in the nest box.  I had disturned her and when I looked again about 15 minutes later she was again in the nest box so I left her alone.  She eventually came out on her own but was in the coop for about 1/2 hour or more.  The last 2 days whilst she has been out I have noticed her occasionally sitting.  Just now I went to check the girls water as it is very cold and all the girls except the light sussex came out out of the coop - she was in the nest box again.  I have left her in there.  I would have said she was ready to lay but do you think there could be a problem and if so, what should I be doing?  She seems ok in every other way although I think she might be drinking more water. As these are my first hens and the first who has shown any signs of possibly laying it is nerve racking and exciting all at the same time! Help!!

I put this in the Chicken chat forum which I think was the wrong one so have copied it over - sorry.

EDIT: I've deleted the other one Carol.  Aunt Sally
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 13:43 by Aunt Sally »
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

too many girls

Re: What's going on?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 13:38 »
i think she's practicing, my Emily was in and out of the coop for days and even sat there for quite some time, then she layed for the very first time :D

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 13:43 »
I hope you're right.  I feel like an expectant mother going in and out looking for any signs that she has laid her first egg! I can see them from the kitchen and I seem to spend so much of my day watching them and looking for any signs of the first egg - it's very tiring  :( I keep hoping that she will just do it and I can relax. Watch this space!

amj

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 17:48 »
you poor thing what a worry'
I  wonder if they are more trouble
than children..... an egg soon I hope!

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 20:03 »
Thanks everyone. I think the problem is all my frieds keep asking if I have had any eggs yet and then they can't understand why and it has got me a bit twitchy.  I know they will lay when they are ready and not before so will just have to wait patiently.  Out of the five, the light sussex (mrs Pickle as I have named her, or I suppose it should be miss!), is the only one who has shown any signs of thinking about laying but hopefully the others will follow once the first egg apppears.  I will post a picture when it arrives!!! :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 08:42 »
It will happen.

One of my pullet Light Sussex did not lay until about April last year for the first time and has not started laying yet this year. The year is young. Think how much longer she is likely to lay having saved her eggs :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 16:31 »
When she does finally lay she'll probably announce it very loudly, and you'll go rushing out to see what on earth is attacking your chickens.....just like I did :D

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 35 queries.