automatic door qu.

• 6 Replies

iowrooster

automatic door qu.
« on: July 21, 2009, 22:14 »
Hi

Have been lurking in the background for a while, learning from other peoples posts and some very helpful answers.  Today I need to ask a question of my own. About three weeks a go I attached an automatic pop hole to my coop, which has been great for letting the girls out early in the morning, but not so good when it comes to bed time. Since installing the pop hole opener there has only been one night when all 3 girls have been in the coop b4 the door closes. The other nights the girls either move on to the ramp as it is closing, or the door closes on them- second night had two bums and a head sticking out underneath! So my qu is,  has anyone else had problems with their girls and these devices, and if so how did you get around it? have checked for red mite etc, and tried bribery with corn, but still end up lifting them in! Girls are 20weeks old silkies.

Cheers for reading this post!
Lee

Foxy

Re: automatic door qu.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 22:53 »
OK it sounds like if it is controlled by a light sensor then you need to decrease the sensitivity of the unit to light which would mean it closes later. On the unit you should see a circular bit(about the size of a penny) with a slot for a screwdriver and an arrow on it, this allows you to decrease or increase sensitvity if it is a vsb unit. :)

iowrooster

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:49 »
Cheers  Foxy. Have to admit my birds aren`t the sharpest tools in the box! Will alter the sensor and see how things go.

desandchez

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:47 »
Because the light varies so much I invested in a timer this wayI can set it to work when I know the girls will be in bed

Sparkle

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 21:03 »
Yes we invested in a timer too and set it for 10pm - this way all the girls are well in before the pop hole closes - also you can ensure they lie in in the morning until 7ish when mr fox has probably gone home.....
sparky

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 20:36 »
Hi there
I agree, fitting a timer is the best option, with the dark days we sometimes have the sensor can be temperamental.
I have fitted one in an easy to reach place on the inside of the house. It opens at 7.15 and closes at 9.45 to give plenty of time for all the hens to find their way to bed. As the auto door is on the inside I can 'over-ride' the closing time be putting the wooden door down when I need to. However, I have been known to forget I have done this :( Wasnt popular with my chucks the next morning.  :ohmy:

iowrooster

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 09:30 »
Hey thanks for all your replies. A timer will be on my shopping list. Although I did go to a wedding yesterday so took the batteries out of the pop hole opener, and the girls were still  sat on their ramp at 11pm!( protected by electric fencing though!) ::)

xx
automatic door for coop!!!

Started by tamnwill on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 20:53
by hillfooter
xx
Automatic Coop Door

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 13:26
by Flowerpower136
xx
Automatic door opener

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 01:24
by hillfooter
xx
Automatic door openers

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 11:20
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 38 queries.