Hand rearing orphaned kittens

• 59 Replies

Oliveview

Re: Hand rearing orphaned kittens
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 12:44 »
Grey kitty has died, we have buried her in the garden.  She was so lovely too. Feisty is on his own.  I will go and see if the others are still alive, there were 3 more I think. I feel quite sad. I am sure feisty will make it, he is too vocal not to!  
Pamela
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 13:30 by oliveview »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52 »
Oh Pamela so sorry, but at least you gave him a fighting chance  :(.
Like you I think the other is definitely a fighter and stands a good chance of surviving  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Springlands

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58 »
Pamela - so sorry to hear about grey kitty - but you really tried your best. Feisty sounds as if he is doing well. Keep up the good work.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 13:03 »
Sorry to hear about grey.  :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Oliveview

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 13:35 »
Feisty has just drank another 7ml of milk, he would not shut up yelling!
He was like an angry baby :ohmy:
Pamela

joyfull

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 14:03 »
he sounds like he is a fighter through and through and has you wrapped round his little paws  :D

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 14:49 »
Poor little grey kitty... that's so sad  :(
At least she had lots of love and attention at the end.

Feisty sounds like he has no intention of going anywhere... I think you have a friend for life there  :D

If the others are alive will you be bringing 1 (or more) home?
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Oliveview

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 16:49 »
I walked to the ladies house, all the others had died :( I don't think they had time to feed them, it is olive picking season now, all olive grove owner's are working dawn to dusk.
Feisty is unhappy alone, Jim has gone off to buy a soft toy. I put  a fluffy cushion cover in the box, but he was sucking the hair, I took it out incase he choked.
I asked the old lady how old the kittens were, a week today.
Pamela
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:10 by oliveview »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 17:50 »
Sorry to hear about the grey kitten, at least it was loved and looked after by you.

Good luck with feisty!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Oliveview

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 21:31 »
Feisty is very unsettled, I think he is missing grey kitty. He drank loads at about 12.30pm since then not a lot but more often, every hour or so.  I went to see about another young cat, while I was at the house feisty was awake and yelling! Jim had to ring me to cone home. I did, with a young ginger and white tom, he is about six months, very friendly. He is in the garage, he has been an outside cat, I am surprised he is so friendly.  We had no cat food so he got a little chicken breast, he liked that!!  Just hope he and the dogs can become friends! There was a really beautiful grey cat at the ladys house, the ladies daughter wants her though.

I need to go to bed, waiting for Feisty to start yelling.  Now I know he is the only survivor I am worried about him.
Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19 »
Feisty isn't quite so feisty, he is snuffly. He gobbled down 5ml of milk this morning. I fed him at 2.30am and 4.30am then woke him for a 7.30 feed. He is vocal but not as much. Fingers crossed for Feisty.
We got another cat last night, a ginger and white one, he is about 6 months old.  Jumbo tried to chase him, he soon found out not to!  
Pamela

Another Feisty update, Feisty has gobbled down another 5ml of milk and I have bathed his face. He has gone straight to sleep, after peeing. Does the going straight ti sleep sound ok? He has a waterbottle and is slightly covered.  Having a baby to look afteris easier!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:51 by oliveview »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 14:18 »
Wonder if he is gulping the milk too quickly and he is getting some on his lungs Pamela.  Not sure what you could do to counteract this.  Perhaps tilting him forward and gently massaging his chest might help.

Found this information on a website

Feeding

Intake is limited by the size of the stomach, and excessive fluid intake must be avoided because a newborn kitten's kidneys are functionally immature and have a very limited capacity. Numerous feedings throughout the day, usually every four hours, will prevent overloading the digestive system and kidneys. The number of feedings can be decreased, and the intake per feeding can be increased accordingly, as the kitten matures.

The daily intake of food is based on the kitten's energy requirement. Caloric requirements for the newborn kitten are approximately 420 kilocalories per kilogram at birth, and by five to six weeks of age it needs only 240 to 275 kilocalories per kilogram. (A kilogram is 1000 grams, or 2.2 pounds. A kilocalorie, a term often shortened to calorie by the nonscientific community, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius.) To calculate the daily amount of milk replacer required for the newborn follow these steps:

Divide the kitten's weight in grams by 1000 to determine the weight in kilograms.

Multiply the answer from step I by 420 (kilocalories). The result provides you with the number of kilocalories needed daily to sustain the newborn kitten.

Find the caloric concentration of the formula on the label. Divide the amount needed by the kitten by the caloric concentration of the milk replacer. Multiply the answer by the quantity of formula (in milliliters) that supplies the specified caloric concentration.

Take the total for the day and divide it by the number of feedings per day.

Here is the link for the website, it has loads more information.
http://maxshouse.com/kitten_care.htm

Wishing you loads of luck.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 19:33 »
We took Kitty to the vets tonight, she, the vet said Feisty is a girl, she is 3 colours and only females are 3 colours and she is half English short haired and half Persian.  Anyway, she has really bad eyes with gunk coming out. The vet squeezed out all the nasty stuff and we have eye drops. I have to wash with saline then put the drops in.  He said her weight gain was good.  I thought we had saline eye stuff indoors, but ir was different eye wash, so tonight I will use boiled water again and buy saline tomorrow.
The vet said to feed her every 3-4 hours. 
The other new cat has settled ok. The dogs are ok with him.

Pamela

joyfull

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 19:43 »
sounds like little Kitty is in very good hands there Pamela  :)

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 21:54 »
Bless her... glad to hear she's still fighting... I'm looking forward to seeing pics of her when you think she's ready to face us all  :D

Has your new ginger & white puss got a name yet?

xx
New Kittens

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 08:35
by Pretty Chick
xx
Kittens

Started by 22fox on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 13:16
by Caralou
xx
Our new kittens.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 21:22
by Madame Cholet
xx
Worming kittens

Started by Pep on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2009, 21:15
by Pep

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.