I think the cat got beaten up :(

• 43 Replies

Eumaeus

• The Island Smallholder
I think the cat got beaten up :(
« on: June 13, 2010, 20:13 »
Toby the "ex-tom" cat at the barn came home today.  He has been somewhat invisible since the arrival of the kittens about 10 day sago and I was starting to worry about him.  Although DD did say she ha dseen him a few times but only "passing through"

So tonight at the barn he appeared.   Walking very slowly and carefully.  He was FILTHY - covered in dust and a couple of mud patches - he even looked as though eh had cobwebs on his whiskers.  He was slobbering a bit around the mouth.  And he was even mor enervous than usual.

I offered him some food and he came and tried to eat some, but it was as though his teeth were hurting him?  Then he took himself off up into the loft.  Hopefully to  wash and sleep and come down in the morning his usual self.

Trouble is - if hs IS hurt, then I don't have a clue how I will get him to the vet.  He is now tame enough that I can stroke him - but I have never picked him up - I have a feeling tha tputting him in a cat box and having the vet "fiddle" with him would drive him round the bend.

Oh well - the joys of having cats I suppose - if anyone has any tips on how to deal with him they would be VERY gratefully received

Many thanks

Eumaeus
Amateurs - built the Ark

Professionals?  They built the titanic

newatthis

• Experienced Member
Re: I think the cat got beaten up :(
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 20:18 »
hello, i  only thing i could think of is asking the cp( cat protection leg) they have traps and they may be able to help.. good luck
zoe pattinson :)

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 20:44 »
Am wondering if he has got bad teeth. Might be worth checking them out.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 21:06 »
If you have a local cp they will have traps and should be able to help you trap him. Also contact your vets as they often have a trap they can lend you to catch him.

I have two ex-ferals. Martha I can now fully handle but Rufus panics (I can stroke when eating but that is all). I had to catch him when he had a persistent eye infection and blocked him in the house, threw a towel over him and bundled him into a supersize cat basket. He was fine at the vets, just the getting him in the basket was hard. After 2 days he forgave me  ::) :lol:

I would suggest that some feliway sprayed where he likes to be in the barn will help calm him with a few drops of bachs rescue remedy in his water before you take him for future visits as well  :)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:07 »
I think you might just have to grin and bear it.  use a heavy pair of gardening gloves, use a cat basket that opens at the top or a cardboard box with ventilation holes cut into it.

If he has been in a scrap then he could be brewing abscesses, and he will need antibiotics.

I have to use gloves when I pick up my little Domino-puss as she HATES it with a passion, but if it is for their own good...

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:30 »
Sorry to sound like harbinger of ill will but it sounds like he could've had a glance from a car, any chance you can surroptitiously look at his paws, coz they tend to cling on to the road and end up with sore paws and ground off nails, and judging by the general stiffness, and pain in his mouth......????

Good luck with him, and hope he recovers without too much intervention, if he's too bad to handle it could all down to you just keeping food and water on offer and the rest left up to the Creator.

mobilekat

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 21:10 »
I am with Wild Pony on this, is he is struggling to eat and drooling there is a chance he may have damaged his jaw- this will need a trip to the vet. Cats can make great recoveries from jaw injuries, but really does sound like he needs a check over.

See how he is in the morning, and be prepared to scruff him and box him if you need to.

And keep us all posted as I know I will keep wondering how he is (love cats to pieces!), as will many others!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:54 »
Cats lower jaws have a "seam" right down the front, it is a favourite area for most facial fractures, you may also notice his two center, lower front teeth have a gap, that to me would indicate a mandibular fracture. My own moglet got trampled by my horse at a flat out gallop last year and had bad head injuries.......but she was kept in a dog cage in my empty stable and kept dark for two days and she made a brilliant recovery, with some help from a retired vet who does a bit of locum-ing who helped me set up the drip. He obviously feels happy to come "home" which is why he's back with you, it just took him that while to recover enough to start his "Incredible Journey" back to the fold.

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 20:10 »
Ouch.. Puddin here... (cat) I was the same just before Christmas last year... :(  My Mum (spiderlyn) took me to the vet... (only ever been twice before.. once for the "JOB" and the other for jabs)  but I was so grateful... I had lessions in my teeth... (holes).. so the vet took three teeth out..eckk... I'm ok now ;) and mum makes sure, that I eat biscutes.. to keep my teeth healthy..

Just to add.. I'm only on here, as mum & dad are watching the Brasil game! and I must catch up with Blondie.. she's my friend on here :)
Try.. and ... try again... & keep trying..

Eumaeus

• The Island Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 21:51 »
:( - I think I may have lost him :(  The next day I wen tup in the loft to look for him and he wasn't there - had obviously gone off again.  And we havent' seen him since.  I SO wish I had tried to grab  him while he was back, I just didn't want to scare him.

I think tomorrow I may print off a photo of him and take it to the vet's and welfare - just in case :(

Thank you all for the suggestions - I have to say, the look o fhim when he came back I did wonder about being hit by a car - but he didn't seem to hav eenough "obvious" damage.

All I can do now is hope he turns up again

mobilekat

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 21:54 »
Oh dear

Good luck Eumaeus- hope he turns up soon!

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 22:13 »
All I can do now is hope he turns up again

Puddin, here again..  XXX sure he's about in the yard somewhere.. just lickin his wounds! ;) I know I did :(.. don't worry about the cat basket.. he'll go in, when you tell him its for the best... I was the same..... I'd just found a lovely home.. and they put me in a cat basket! :ohmy:..

LOL.. two years later.. I'm still here.. and I have the run of the House! and I'm "lovin it" :D

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:21 »
Awwww, good luck. At times like these i remember Kiplings the cat who walks alone from the just so stories. Many road injuries are internal unfortunately, so outwardly you'd not know. Hugs coming..........

Eumaeus

• The Island Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 08:47 »
Hi - well...Toby's still alive at least.  When we got to the barn this mornign he was in the loft again - right on the edge where we could see him when we walked in the door.  I wen tup the ladder to talk to him and he is still iln a right mess - gunky stuff all down his white bib - still drooling badly and still mucky.  I offered him some food and he looked at it and turned it down.  So I found him a cage and picked him up and put him in - to my amazement he only put up a token protest, then cried a couple of times when he was in.  We then offered him a drink which he seemed to want but he stopped after one tiny lap.  I phoned the welfare and the vet is here today so I have to take him in at 9.30.

It is unreal - I know he needs to go to the vet but I feel like a total traitor putting him in the cage.  All the time I have spent slowly, slowly buildign up his trust - and the first time he lets me pick him up it's to put him in a cage and take him to the vet.  But I know it's for the best.

I am guessing it must be either his teeth or his jaw :(

Thanks again for all the advice - and for those that knew not to give up on him.  I will keep updating :)

I just hope he forgives me when he gets home :(

Eumaeus

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53 »
fingers crossed for you and him xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.