Spot-on cat wormer v spot-on combined wormer and flea treatment

• 16 Replies

Goosegirl

I've always used separate spot-ons but my vet has just told me about a combined one that should work out cheaper; however, you need to apply them more frequently so am querying this with you. I use Profender for worms and Advantage for fleas. I didn't get the name but, on giggling it, could be Advocate. Anyone got any experience which is the best as I can't get Profender on-line but I can get Advocate. Price is not tanoption as I want the best that works for them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
In January the cat rehoming centre, that Molly came from, told me to use Advocate monthly and Profender every 6 months.

According to them Advocate doesn't work on tapeworms (Profender does)

maxyboo

I agree with what MOS has said. Advocate also protects against earmites and heartworm which Advantage and Profender don't claim to do. My friend uses advocate at her sanctuary and swears by it, but she also uses Profender for tapeworms.
You can get advocate and profender online but only with a vets prescription. Try vetuk.co.uk. From a vet directly I assume the cost will be higher.
Like you I have used advantage for a while now as it seems to work well and I can get it without a prescription. I also use profender for the worms. This seems the most cost effective way for me to protect my babies.
I would say advocate is probably the best if you can afford it as it covers heartworm and earmites but you still need profender or something that will kill tapeworms.

Auntiemogs

I use Advocate for my two and then give them a pill for tapeworm, but when I went to the vets a few months ago, I'm sure he said there's now an all in one?  :unsure: 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Goosegirl

AM - I wonder if that was the one my vet's assistant mentioned? I had to stop using pills because, although I can just about get them down two of my cats, when my Daphne went to the vets for a post-op check up, I asked them to give her some worm tablets. They had a go then took her into a little side room. About 10 mins later they came out a bit white-faced and said they now understood my problem!!  :D I will give them a ring next week and ask the name, then let you know - thanks.

Auntiemogs

Thank you GG.  I still have some Advocate to use up, but it would be great to get it all done at once.   :)

Btw, I usually wimp out and get the vet to do the worming.  ::) ;) :lol:

Goosegirl

Oh AM - you wuss!  :nowink: What's a few deep scratches or a lost finger tip??  :blush: I've just booked one of our cats in for a routine check so they can continue prescribing spot-on wormer and asked the name of this new one. It's called Broadline and treats fleas, ticks, plus round and tape-worms. Having just re-read this thread, I didn't ask about ear mites and heart worm but look ing on-line, it treat biting lice and hookworms. Are these the same things?

Sue33

our pups have advocate on a monthly basis and the wormer every 3 months  :)

maxyboo

Goosegirl, I think hookworms are another worm found in the intestine. Earmites, lice and heartworm are all different parasites.

LotuSeed

We use Heartgard but don't know what it's called there. They're chewable flavored treat-like tablets given once monthly to prevent heart-worm and hookworm. You need a prescription from the vet for it. For fleas ticks and live there's Frontline, Vectra and Advantage. But like I said that's here in the States. They may be called different things o'er the pond. Are your cats indoor, outdoor or indoor/outdoor?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Oh AM - you wuss!  :nowink: What's a few deep scratches or a lost finger tip??  :blush: I've just booked one of our cats in for a routine check so they can continue prescribing spot-on wormer and asked the name of this new one. It's called Broadline and treats fleas, ticks, plus round and tape-worms. Having just re-read this thread, I didn't ask about ear mites and heart worm but look ing on-line, it treat biting lice and hookworms. Are these the same things?

Hi GG.  Our vet recently changed to Broadline - and they no longer supply separate spot ons for worms and fleas, so we have been forced to make the change so we have been using Broadline on our cats every six weeks for about 6 months now - it's quite expensive!  Also, our wee cat (she will never grow big) has suffered a bit with it, as it is quite strong, I think - it has made her dopey and unhappy.  The jury's out, and I am still thinking about trying to get the two treatments separately again, but we don't have too many options round here .....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Get the vet to give you a prescription for the treatment that is best for your cat, and order online.

It's usually cheaper than the vet even with p&p!

Goosegirl

Goosegirl, I think hookworms are another worm found in the intestine. Earmites, lice and heartworm are all different parasites.
Thanks maxyboo - wasn't sure if heartworm was the same as hookworm. From the responses on here, I think I will just go on getting Frontline on-line and the Profender from the vets. I just want what is the most effective and safest even if it costs a few pounds more.

grendel

the last time my wife tried to give one of our cats a tapeworm tablet- she had her little finger bitten- clean through to the nail (from the other side) a week on double strength antibiotics ensued.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Auntiemogs

Oh AM - you wuss! 
Guilty as charged!  :lol: 

I've had a quick look online, and it does seem to 'cover all bases', although it's about £33 for 6 (large cat) as opposed to £10 for 4 Advantage, so twice the price (plus cost of prescription would have to be factored in)...

Having said that, I tend to get a prescription for a years worth for Millie, and then share them between her and her brother (Izzie).  I know they've probably been tested to the nth degree, but I really don't like putting chemicals on them, so I tend to use them more in the summer, or if they start scratching.  :)

xx
Best spot-on cat wormer

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 14:44
by maxyboo
question
Spot on treatment.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2016, 10:18
by Trikidiki
xx
Where to buy dog wormer on line

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 14:07
by Thrift
xx
Recall Dog Flea treatment... Fatal

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 14:21
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.