Oscar has been in the wars - Now he's back!

• 45 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Oscar has been in the wars - Now he's back!
« on: September 29, 2013, 14:31 »
Of our 3 18 month old cats 2 of them are really outside cats and in the summer tend to only come in to eat and the odd cuddle so it has not been unusual not to see them for a day or two.
Yesterday it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't seen Oscar in at least 2 if not 3 days and was just starting to worry about him when he showed up on the patio with a pretty horrible wound to his back leg. He's lost a big chunk of skin and exposed the underlying muscle and tendons! :(

Needless to say a weekend call out to the vets who tidied up and dressed the wound plus antibiotics and painkillers. Oscar is still feeling a bit sorry for himself and is not at all impressed with the bandage but hasn't pulled it off yet. We had to give up on the cone of shame pretty quickly as he just wouldn't settle at all with it on.

Likely to need dressing for about a month so not sure how we are going to manage an outdoor cat indoors for that long but I'm sure we will all cope. At least no major injury!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 23:41 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Oscar has been in the wars.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 15:04 »
Poor Oscar - I wonder what got him  :unsure:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 15:42 »
Initially we actually worried that he had been caught in a snare as the wound was almost circumferential and right where one would sit if he had got caught in one and the vet on first glance thought so too. Once she had had a chance to shave round the whole wound and inspect it under sedation she thought it was less likely as there was no crush injury and it wasn't quite circumferential. Didn't look like a bite either so she wasn't sure. Thought he might have slipped and cut it falling on something sharp. Guess we will never know.

He's definitely sulking with me now as I have the duty of administering antibiotics and painkillers. Will have to wait to see how the dressing change on Monday goes!

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 16:03 »
That is the problem with cats!  I hope you get on ok with the dressing change and Oscar is ok!

Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 16:22 »
aww poor Oscar, hope he recovers quickly xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 16:51 »
I'm sure he will be fine, he's just grumpy and sulking with me so he must be fine!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 16:58 »
Could the injury be caused by wire netting ? The leg can go through as the cat jumps over the top and the weight of the cat twists the loop closed leaving a snare like mark.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 19:07 »
Certainly a possibility.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 17:59 »
I hope Oscar makes a quick recovery Kate.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 19:17 »
Well we were meant to do Oscar's first dressing change today and not a chance that was happening without sedation! The moment we went near his leg he went completely wild. We will have to ring the vet in the morning and get him booked in there.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 20:01 »
 :(  If only they knew we were trying to help and it would help them get better.  I hope you have not got too many scratches off him Kate.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 20:11 »
We had him tightly wrapped up in a towel but he was just frantic and it was impossible to continue. He's fine with the antibiotics etc but can''t  see any way of doing it ourselves without distressing so much that we will lose all trust. Will just have to get him back to the vet.

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 20:17 »
You are doing the right thing as stress would not be good for him and could possibly hinder the healing process.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 21:21 »
Well we actually had another go without wrapping him up so much and it went much better. Wound nice and clean and now redressed so don't need to stress him out by taking him to the vet tomorrow but will get him there for the next dressing change as keen to to become the person he hates the most!

Very stressful this looking after poorly cats. I'm much better with people, it upsets me much more when my cat hates me.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37 »
You could always try giving him some catnip either before or after treatment.   ;)

xx
My poor little Tiger has been in the wars :(

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post November 30, 2009, 18:15
by raeburg
xx
Bee tail back.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2022, 10:43
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Horse - back problem?

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 14:00
by Casey76
xx
Springwatch is back on the telly!

Started by DD. on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 18:36
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.