What now?

• 3 Replies

ex-cavator

What now?
« on: March 25, 2010, 21:50 »
In an attempt to create some replacement raised beds on the plots we have just taken over, and to give ourselves a decent growing depth, my son and I spent last weekend removing the old rotten carpet membrane at ground level, and digging a couple of the beds out about a spade depth deeper, with the intent of filling with manure, compost, and the remaining soil taken from the old beds (though we haven't yet filled them). We also dug a bean trench and started to fill it with manure & vegetable waste, but in both cases, we struck yellow clay at about six inches.
My lad returned today to construct wooden frames for the beds, only to find the prepared holes, and the half filled bean trench, full of water after yesterday's rain.
Question is, should we proceed as planned in the hope that we will not be waterlogged in the growing season,or resort to plan B. Whatever that is - any ideas?  :blush: Rice?  :lol:

FERDY

Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 22:01 »
I have raised beds. When I constructed them I had many neighbours tutting at my efforts. Today all the plots around me are six inches deep in water due to the prelonged rain & clay sub soil.
Try and dig in as much as you can and build nice deep beds on top.
You'll be as smug as me.
Correctio, Accommodo, Maturus.

JABBERWOCKI

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 22:26 »
I moved into my current house/garden 3 years ago. Solid clay at less than 6''. Firstyear thought nothing would grow but planted some stuff direct in after rough digging and some in raised bed with 6'' of topsoil. Suprisingly most things grew. If you try things like sprout/ cabbage/ Kale/ broccoli they seem to thrive on clay.
As an aside I have a large bed of strawberries which produced a huge amount of fruit last year. They are planted in clay and stand in water after heavy rain. I cannot understand why they produce such good results as every book tell you strawberries need loamy soil. can only think they are getting lots of nutrients out of the clay anyone any ideas?.

Anyhow back to the original q. The only way i got mine into a fine tilth was to dig at the back end and leave in clods. Prvided we get frost the clods will break down wonderfully. This year after hard frost just needs light raking. 

If I were you my plan would be
1. Plant what you can in raised beds / Rough dug clay and take what you can from it.
2. Dig and leave rough in autumn.
Next year you will be amazed at the difference. It is hard work but they reckon a clay soil will be the best once broken down due to the amounts of nutrients. Best of luck.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:43 »
Hi in the bean trench I would also put shreaded paper in it, as it holds the moisture for the thirsty runners during the growing season, it will probably soak up some of that water that the heavy rain has left.  Mandy.

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 33 queries.