Slug count!

• 29 Replies

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
Re: Slug count!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 08:20 »
I honestly counted 80 odd slugs around my butternut squashes the year before last!!!

I can never snip caterpillers or slugs  - I just remove and stick them in the compost bin or over the 6ft fence and down into a wooded ditch at the end of my garden.

...and sheesh - the slug pubs do honk!! - apparently if you leave a dead slug in it, this is even more attractive to live ones  :blink:

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 10:45 »
When I tried to pull a carpet pile up in september there was a family of slow worms (20 or more) of them and on the side there was these huge slugs living with them. I thought Oh my god, that is an attenborough moment of "life" living in harmony or the worms were rearing slugs for Christmas.
got the slugs removed and drove the slow worms to corner of plot by creating carpet pile there.
I had a similar experience with a toad - I found it snoozing under an old plank, and cuddled up next to it an enormous slug!
Rachael

viettaclark

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 12:55 »
Don't your evicted sluggies come wandering home....mine did! Veg. is more delicious than weeds!!! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 16:38 »
I know it sounds silly but slugs n snails have a homing instinct..throw them next door and they just come home again. Sorry you'll have to just throw them soo hard that they don't :ohmy:

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 18:20 »
Went to a meeting of my local gardener's association yesterday and they were talking about some kind of organic slug pellet made out of sheep wool - they claimed they really worked. Has anyone on here used them? (Sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched but didn't find anything).

I suffered really badly from slug attack last year and am trying to be as organic as possible - I also have a dog who eats anything and everything (and drinks the beer out of slug traps! :blink:) so would be really interested to hear from anyone who has used them successfully! Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 19:10 »
Put a tile/brick or piece of wood, lifted up on a couple of stones, over the slug traps. Slugs can still get in to drink..and die!....but the dog can't drink from it :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 19:16 »
some kind of organic slug pellet made out of sheep wool - they claimed they really worked. Has anyone on here used them? (Sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched but didn't find anything).

Could this be it?
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2454

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 20:27 »
Yep, that sounds like it - they sell it at their sales hut at a discount for members of the association (of which I am one). Was just wondering if anyone had actually used it?!

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 08:55 »
1st time veg grower beware of you dog eating any slugs and snails they carry lung worm and your dog will get it from them and it can be fatal very quickly!!!

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 13:13 »
Thanks pawsnclaws - i have read about that on a poster in my vets, and you're right it sounds really nasty. Thankfully she doesnt eat them (not at the moment anyway - but she pretty much eats everything else - spiders, flies... ::) ). But on the poster it said something about a vaccine or tablets that you can give as a preventative which I might do to be on the safe side as she is a total menace!

When she drank the beer was last year when I first put the traps down (and she was a puppy) - let her out later that eve and caught her in the act, trouble was she had already drunk most of the pots! Lets just say she slept well that night and I never caught any slugs - didn't bother with the traps again! I do have a makeshift fence up now that mostly keeps her off the patch so I may give them a go again - my mother swears by them!

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 19:29 »
lst year when i got my lotty my stafford ate slug pellets  :ohmy: good job they where the pet and child friendly ones i still stuck the hose pipe in his mouth to wash any out he is a bit of a muncher too lol anythink that looks like it could be food gets eaten

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 18:06 »
I know it sounds silly but slugs n snails have a homing instinct..throw them next door and they just come home again. Sorry you'll have to just throw them soo hard that they don't :ohmy:
I'm sure I read something about a gardener putting little paint marks on the slugs and and taking them far (1 mile???) away and they CAME HOME!!! :mad:.
You'd have to have one hell of a throw!
Mine go for swimming lessons but I don't teach them to swim up stream! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 18:10 »
I meant throw them hard enough to hurt

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 18:20 »
Gotcha!  :lol:
(love the 'emotion'!)

viettaclark

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 23:04 »
Please please please can we have that emoticon on the site........

xx
Nocturnal slug hunts - do you do a head count?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 15:32
by Paul Plots
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Low seed count

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 12:24
by BumbleJo
xx
Go on then COUNT YOUR PACKETS OF VEG SEEDS!

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 19:28
by yummy

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.