New to the forums :) and growing herbs for the first time for cooking with :)

• 3 Replies

aaronjunited

I have started growing herbs in pots and a container for my kitchen. Sowed them last week and have two basil sprouted already :)

I have Coriander, Basil and Parsley.

The pictures show Parsley in one pot and Basil in another.

Then the container has 3 Coriander next to each other and 2 and Basil next to each other.

My kitchen has a north facing window so no sun in the mornings just pure daylight. I move my seedlings to the south of the house in the day and they get sunlight for most of the day then I move them back to the kitchen at night and repeat until they are grown enough where they will be outside during a nice day and inside in the kitchen at tea time till the next day.

My question is will this work ok?

Any advice?
5.jpg
4.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Hi and welcome Aaron.  It a bit of shifting around, but if the light is better in another room, its worth it.  As long as your herbs are getting good light, they should grow.

Coriander does tend to go to seed quite quickly, so you might have to have a succession of pots on the go if you want a continuous supply  :)

madcat

Like NS says, it is worth it.  I'm moving stuff all the time at the minute to make the best of the sun, and for a clumsy kluzts like me, it is high risk!   ::)  But still worth it ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
I think you could simplify what sounds like a rather demanding regime a little bit - the parsley will grow fine outside and will put up with less sunshine than the other two.

I'd keep the basil indoors as it can be a bit iffy outdoors in poor summers.

The coriander can go outside once the frost risk is over, but as New Shoot has said, it's easily the most likely to run to seed of the 3.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Growing and cooking herbs website

Started by Patch on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 18:18
by Patch
xx
what time are the forums shutting down please?

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 22:29
by John
xx
Growing and looking after herbs - please help

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 13:25
by Annie
xx
Growing herbs

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 16:58
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 41 queries.