Bomb for cleaning greenhouse.

• 9 Replies

MrsPea

Bomb for cleaning greenhouse.
« on: July 27, 2014, 13:24 »
Does anyone know what the bomb is called that you put in the greenhouse at the end of the season to get rid of all the nasty's
I Love my green house

Springlands

Re: Bomb for cleaning greenhouse.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 13:31 »
They are Sulphur candles - trouble is they kill the good beasties as well as the bad. Must admit that I am still considering using one this year as I have such a bad white fly infestation.  :(

MrsPea

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 13:38 »
Thank you for that Springlands I'm glad I'm not the only one with white fly, in the four years I've had a greenhouse I've never had this much trouble  >:(

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 14:35 »
If your plants are otherwise healthy mostly they can survive the whitefly - although one of my sweet peppers in particular is covered in the little blighters it is doing well with a good crop of peppers.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 16:33 »
Have you got any basil or Taggetes in there? It is supposed to aid in the white fly game, I always grow them around my tomatoes apart from this year :wacko:  I've bought some French marigolds that I'm still waiting to put in & a friend gave me a huge pot of basil, haven't seen any whitefly yet. Oops may have spoken too soon.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 16:46 »
I have Tagets in the greenhouse and it has not made any difference.  :(  At least so far the plants do not seem to be suffering. I take them out of the GH each day and hose them down - it does not solve the problem but helps keep it under control. So far the toms have escaped - hopefully it will stay that way.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 20:53 »
Out of interest, do you have a concrete floor and grow in pots, or have soil beds and plant in borders?

Totty

barley

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 22:11 »
I tried one of those a few years ago - didn't make a jot of difference , it just killed all the creepy crawlies including the good ones like spiders

and I still got blight again the next year , probably a good spring clean will help 

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 21:27 »
I tried one of those a few years ago - didn't make a jot of difference , it just killed all the creepy crawlies including the good ones like spiders

and I still got blight again the next year , probably a good spring clean will help

Blight only survives on live material such as overwintered potato tubers. Cleaning the greenhouse each year is a good idea for a variety of reasons, but not for the reason of reducing blight impact.

MrsPea

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 11:08 »
Out of interest, do you have a concrete floor and grow in pots, or have soil beds and plant in borders?

Totty

Hi Totty, I have concrete down the middle and either side is done with plastic sheeting then pumice laid  on top which holds the temperature, the tomatoes are grown in large pots which sits on a very large tray which is ideal for watering.

xx
Cleaning greenhouse glass

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2020, 08:22
by snowdrops
xx
cleaning outside of polytunnel?

Started by rozalia on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 18:29
by Henwoman
xx
Cleaning between panels

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 09:57
by Lee1978
xx
Cleaning Polytunnel Cover

Started by marcofez on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 12:17
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.