Help Sweetcorn

• 12 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Help Sweetcorn
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:18 »
Sorry for the urgency but promised my daughter we would plant sweetcorn today however when I've gone to get the seeds I started chitting Tues/Weds they have gone furry and spores of mould are on them will they be safe to use or do I need to start again?

Thanks
Missy

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:26 »
Sorry to say so but it sounds as if they are rotting (too wet?) and will be no good for sowing.  :(

There has been so much posted here lately about sweetcorn germination and I don't want to start it off all over again but having promised your daughter you would sow today why not sow direct (paper pots if you have them?), keep them moist on a sunny windowsill and you should see their little shoots in about a week.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 13:13 »
Thanks JayG will discard the chitting ones and try direct - didnt think of that ::)

Missy

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 15:34 »
Hiya

I sowed my seeds direct into compost in the greenhouse last week and I have strong shoots coming up. I watered it well, put a clear lid on it and left it alone for a week  :) .

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 17:48 »
I lost a batch this year chitting on kitchen paper. I had pressed the moist kitchen paper well down onto the seeds; I've now changed my technique to make sure the seed is well moist to start with, and then raise up the upper layer of kitchen paper so that some air can circulate.

When I re-wet the container I pour all the excess moisture out - whereas for other seeds I leave it "wet" rather than "moist".

The modern varieties of sweetcorn have more problems with germination than their predecessors - and are often coat with a fungicide in order to improve their chances ...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 18:14 by Kristen »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 19:17 »
I find if I put the lid on the plastic pot then put it on the warm propagator base, the corn has usually chitted by the next day, so there is no need to re-wet, but I agree they only need to be damp rather than soaking.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 19:31 »
I had 100% germination in four days, sowing into deep pots ( 3 to a pot) covered in cling film and then in a cold greenhouse.

(weather was decent though  :D )
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 19:34 »
If you plant 3 to a pot, do you only keep the strongest growing one, plant all 3 together, or split them on planting............you've got me guessing :lol:

roller

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 20:27 »
Sorry for the urgency but promised my daughter we would plant sweetcorn today however when I've gone to get the seeds I started chitting Tues/Weds they have gone furry and spores of mould are on them will they be safe to use or do I need to start again?

Thanks
Missy

Rinse them gently in luke warm water, it will only be a surface fungi, then get them in soil asap

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 20:31 »
In my opinion. the only veg that needs chitting are potatoes. Seeds should be sown direct in the ground or in pots. :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 21:17 »
If you plant 3 to a pot, do you only keep the strongest growing one, plant all 3 together, or split them on planting............you've got me guessing :lol:

The pots are 12 ins deep (bought roses in them years ago) and I separate out each plant carefully. The roots are thick and juicy and need careful handling, and it is best not the let the plants get too big for that reason.

Total success like this last year so fingers crossed for the same again  :D

ziggy66

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 21:54 »
Sorry to say so but it sounds as if they are rotting (too wet?) and will be no good for sowing.  :(

There has been so much posted here lately about sweetcorn germination and I don't want to start it off all over again but having promised your daughter you would sow today why not sow direct (paper pots if you have them?), keep them moist on a sunny windowsill and you should see their little shoots in about a week.  :)

Safe to use.

Each batch of sweetcorn I chit always ends up 'furry' with mould. When planted on does not seem to matter.

If you still have the seeds go for it, you will know in about two days if there is a problem if they don't poke through.

Spana

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 22:25 »
I've always sown straight into pots but i had opened left over  packets in my seed bag, one dating back to 06.  So i chitted them on damp kitchen roll and got about 95% germinate.  They were all furry, but i potted them up anyway and they're all growing on well. 

If you look at the shooting seed some will have a shoot as well as a root.  Just by sure to get the root pointing down and the shoot up :lol:

xx
sweetcorn

Started by lippett76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 22:12
by gobs
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 10:55
by fatbelly
xx
sweetcorn

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 12:49
by beesrus
xx
Which sweetcorn.

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 21:12
by Urbanite

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 37 queries.