Popsy has died 😭

• 6 Replies

ghost61

Popsy has died 😭
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:29 »
On Monday she showed signs of having a prolapse.  Took her in and bathed her, and tried to reinsert the prolapse.  Bless her heart, she squeezed it back in herself after I'd gently started to push it in.  Kept her isolated and cut out all treats and pellets etc to prevent her from laying, sticking her on a scrambled egg and grit diet with greens and water.  Yesterday she was fine, running about and rosey happily.  How things can change in the blink of an eye.

The hen house is under my bedroom window and I heard some banging going on at about 6am and looked out.  All quiet, and then it came again.  Went down to see what was happening and there was Popsy gasping for breath.  Took her inside and she passed away in my arms at 7am.  She was only two, and had spent much of her time alone due to,the bird flu as we couldn't integrate her  at the time (her buddy died only two months after we had them).

I am wondering whether late chicks are more susceptible to illness, we bought them in October 2016 and they were the last of the season.  Both have died whereas our others, all bought in the spring are much more robust - any thoughts/experiences?

snowdrops

Re: Popsy has died 😭
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 16:56 »
Oh that’s sad for you, always a wrench when they go. Can’t help with your enquiry as you ve not had enough chickens
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 19:20 »
its always sad when you loose one of your flock particularly a young hen.
I think late hatch chicks are harder to rear but I have not noticed any differences once they are hens.
do you have any history of their breeding and rearing? this may give some clue why you lost both?

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 20:51 »
We bought Popsy and her buddy from the same supplier that we used four years prior.  At that time we bought three (same breed) and we lost one after four years and the other two are still going strong and both are still laying.  The latest hens were bought from a different supplier.  Unfortunately they have closed due to the farm not being viable, their hens are so calm and friendly, so it's a shame they've closed their business.

All quiet tonight - been out to make sure they're OK.  All huddled up - big white snowball of feathers. Bless!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:18 »
I don't know if late hatching was the reason, but you have certainly been unlucky with Poppy and her buddy.

The new lot sound like they are settling in well though  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 14:52 »
Really sorry to read your news. I think we may lose one of ours for the same reason (prolapse). She was basically free as she was in poor condition when we got her but we've spent a load on medicines since.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Bamboochicken

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 21:34 »
Sooooo sad poor hen.

xx
Emu died this morning

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 11:54
by Oliveview
xx
Korma died overnight :-(

Started by ScottBarton on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 14:54
by sneezer
xx
Turkey died in my arms

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 21:48
by Bamboochicken
xx
miss salty died

Started by shetan on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 20:03
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 41 queries.