Good to eat?

• 30 Replies

Paul Plots

Good to eat?
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:12 »
I'm really not sure about sticking my beak in here (Chicken Chat) but here goes........

I have become the owner of a small flock of Melopsittacus undulatus, ("Budgerigars" which apparently means “good to eat”).

I was hoping for a perch where I might find some other owners who would be willing to share their expertise as I’ve many questions and lots to learn.

My family encouraged me to buy these feathered clowns because I needed something to prevent me from turning into a complete bird-brain. I look after my elderly parents - there isn't time for much else.

I hopped in here to see if anyone shares the same interest.
P1050454.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

Re: Good to eat?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:47 »
My beloved Harlequin was a human in feathers. Smartest bird I ever came across and he talked a blue streak along with getting into lots of trouble. See if your bird likes popcorn. Mine adored it and was extremely miffed if I didn't share. (leave out the butter and salt)

Sandpaper rolls on their perches helps to keep their claws trimmed and a cuttlebone is always appreciated for beak cleaning.

As for 'good to eat', save them for when you have a crowd of Lilliputians coming to dinner   :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:56 »
I had budgies back in the eighties. They lived in a double box cage, a pair in each side, in the living room. They were lovely colours, and we were told they would not breed in the box cages, so not to bother taking the corner nest boxes out as it was somewhere for them to go away from whatever was going on. They were noisy little blighters, especially if you were trying to speak on the phone, or listen to something special on the telly! They belong in an aviary outside! But we did let them out for flying and pooping all over the place every day.

As for not breeding......you couldn't stop them! Had some beauties, but the noise!

Luckily a friend had them for his aviary eventually, when my first husband and I split.

Cheerful things though....outside!!!!

splash101

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11 »
We dont have budgies but we have a massive outdoor aviary.

It is split into 2. Both sides have a pair of redrumps and one side has canaries and red factors and the other side has finches and java's

They all have their own little ways. Red rumps being top dog and my daughter calls the javas the mafia as they all go around in 1 group and look like they are wearing a dark overcoat.

At each end of the aviary there is an indoor area with lighting and heat so they can go inside out of the cold.  The heat is controlled by a thermostat so when it drops below a certain temp the heat comes on.

The aviary is more my hubbys hobby, i have the chickens and quails.
One thing is for sure though, that bench sure gets a lot of use.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:46 »
what a very handsome chap that is Paul ..... how big is the 'flock'? 

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:52 »
Thanks ever so much for the replies.

It’s good to hear about other people’s pet birds and other types.

I quite agree: the best place for them is in an aviary if possible. I’d love one especially with lighting and heating!

Weeks ago my son whisked me off on an outing. We went to buy “a budgie”. We came home leaving 4 newly purchased birds in the care of the breeder to give me time to search for a suitable cage. The new hobby was taking off.

Despite Mrs P hating anything flying around her I ended up with six birds and this in the conservatory:
P1050436.jpg

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 13:17 »
That should be quite easy to move outside when the weather is good. Enjoy your birds, they are charming....but not as charming as chooks. And cheerful till they see something they don't like, then they screech. (I had cats!) ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 13:58 »
What a handsome bird Paul.  I am sure you will have many happy hours watching their antics.  I am sure they will be very messy though.  I had some of my quail indoors when young or ill and had feathers and dandruff everywhere.  Still love having them though and miss them when they are all outside especially in the cold weather.

Look forward to seeing more photos.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 14:15 »
Nice sized coop; they should be very happy in there, but do be very careful of drafts. It can take them fast.

We gave our birds lots of ladders, bells, hanging toys and mirrors to talk into.

shoozie

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 19:04 »
very nice budgie pad  :blink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 00:25 »
The budgies settled really well - now tame enough to sit on me when I offer broccoli or chickweed.

They ignore our cat who sneaks about to get a close up view when she thinks no one is watching.

They do make a mess flinging seed husks and anything else they get their beaks on for miles! Mrs Plots is a patient woman.... (she has to be with me around).

Plan for the spring is to set up a new aviary across the road outside my parents conservatory.
Everyone seems to like that idea.   ;)

I could do with a few pointers regarding lighting and heating. Books aren't a great deal of help.  :(
P1050449.jpg

splash101

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12 »
You might not need any heating or light for that matter. We have heating in ours because some of the foreign finches we keep dont do to well in sub zero temp's and if they are using too much energy to keep warm they will soon lose condition.
Years ago we just kept cockatiels and they didnt need any heating.

A freind of mine has built an aviary from a small shed and attatched an outdoor flight. He has removed the window so they can go indoors from the outside flight.
Inside the shed he has made a partition with a door in it.  This enables him to open the shed door, close it behind him before opening the door in the partition to gain access to the birds indoor bit. This stops any birds escaping . He hasnt got any heating.

If you google "keeping budgies outdoors UK" you should get lots of info.

If you can get them outside by late spring / summer, it will give them plenty of time to acclimatize through the summer / autumn ready for winter.

My Grandad use to keep budgies outdoor when my mum was growing up and heating definatley wasnt an option (my mums nearly 70). 

All of our birds go mad for celery. We hang whole corn cobs, broccolli heads, cabbages etc. They seem to like the vegetables more than fruit.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 19:12 »
Thanks for the information Splash - really appreciated.

I'd heard budgies can cope with really low temperatures but hated the idea of keeping them outside with future winter temperatures below freezing. (Presently mine enjoy protection of the conservatory and will stay indoors this winter.)

I have a shed ear-marked for use as an aviary - hope to move it into a sunnier part of the garden in the spring.

I hope to have electric in the shed to extend their feeding period when it's cold and, maybe, to run a 100w tubular heater to keep their tiddly toes frost free during the very coldest weather. With fuel bills constantly rocketing I'll have to keep the use of power to a minimum so I may insulate the shed if I can afford to.

Below is the unused potting shed awaiting conversion:
P1020745.jpg

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 20:43 »
Looks like you have the makings of a great project for next year.  I hope the weather is kinder than it has been this year. 

shoozie

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 22:05 »
Is it my imagination or were the budgies really posing in your last photo :).  Sounds like you've got a great project there - look forward to it developing

xx
So far so good

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC
xx
Good value?

Started by fd01 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 14:19
by Little red
xx
Looking good so far!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 12:55
by Pol
xx
Traumatic day but so far so good.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

25 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 16:22
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.