Blueberries

• 8 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Blueberries
« on: July 19, 2009, 14:58 »
I have a patio blueberry that has had berries on for months now, but they aren't going blue!! How long do they take to ripen - can I speed up the process?
Thanks

SG6

Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 18:56 »
None of mine are blue and I don't expect them to be until August/September.
I think they are an Autumn crop and not a summer one.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 19:45 »
I am a bit surprised that none of your blueberries have turned blue, as quite a few of mine have turned blue and I am in Glasgow. Even when they turn blue, I leave them to ripen properly, ie, when they go dark blue. they are much sweeter then. They are fully netted against the birds. It can also depend on the variety, early or late ripening. Most of mine are bluecrop and are very early this year, like all of my fruit.

pops

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 20:05 »
i have just harvested the 1st bowl full of blueberries,they were green for months now they are starting to turn,watered them fairly regular,not letting them dry out and put a couple of inches of well rotted horse manure to mulch plant.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:12 »
There are early and late blueberries, but once you have them growing, they'll eventually turn blue when they're ready. There's really no way to force them other than wait. I've been picking some off my new plants already and there's more to come. Can't wait until they're mature plants and I'll have loads. Yummm.

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33 »
I am a bit surprised that none of your blueberries have turned blue, as quite a few of mine have turned blue and I am in Glasgow. Even when they turn blue, I leave them to ripen properly, ie, when they go dark blue. they are much sweeter then. They are fully netted against the birds. It can also depend on the variety, early or late ripening. Most of mine are bluecrop and are very early this year, like all of my fruit.

I think your blueberries are either nationlist or just plain cold from living in Glasgow. ;)
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 20:08 »
Johnny boy, I love your humour!!

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 22:34 »

I think your blueberries are either nationlist or just plain cold from living in Glasgow. ;)

Excuuuuuuse me!!! I'm a Sassenach in deepest warm berkshire - however my blueberries don't appear impressed by that. I have a birthday party coming up - guess I'll have to raid the frozen ones - hey ho - roll on September!

mountainvicar

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39 »
mine are stillsmalland green too... not evn a hint of ripening...allwell...

xx
blueberries

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 16:16
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
blueberries

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 15:50
by JayG
xx
When to net my blueberries?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 02:46
by paintedlady
xx
Blueberries

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 29, 2022, 22:03
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 35 queries.