I would like some blueberries

• 9 Replies

Lardman

I would like some blueberries
« on: January 02, 2013, 15:28 »
Past 2 years my 5 bushes have been stripped bare despite being netted. I think it's time I did something a bit more formal.

The bushes are in a 4x8 bed, I was think of 4 wood/wire panels and standard netting over the top. Its not something I want to rebuild / adjust next year so, how high and what size wire mesh? Would 4ft be high enough?

I also need to cover the strawbs bed for the same reason, 1 roll of mesh would be preferable.

Trillium

Re: I would like some blueberries
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 15:52 »
I had the same problem, the little stinkers simply walked under the netting and into the bushes. A few bold ones even tore the netting to get in   >:(

So this year I'll install posts into the corners of my raised beds that stand 5 ft above the soil line (I have 4 ft high bushes), plus 2 centre posts (I have 8 ft long beds) and we'll be fastening small gauge wire mesh to it that only bees can pass through and figure some sort of opening so we can pick the berries. Perhaps a swing open 'door' from either side.  Bottom edges will be pegged down.  I think on top I'll use the spare rolls of door screening I got cheap at a yard/boot sale. Let them try tearing metal mesh open!!  :tongue2:

As for strawberries, I have the same problem except the birds are joined by thieving chipmunks. The strawberry cover will also have sturdy wood posts at frequent intervals but at least 3 ft tall above soil line which makes it easier for me to either crawl into the bed to pick berries or to roll back the top. Haven't decided which method yet but it needs doing as the critters are stealing far too many of my berries.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 16:07 »
The first year I thought I would have a decent crop of blueberries I was very careless with the standard garden netting and nearly every day my first job was to let out at least one panicking (and rather plump-looking) blackbird from inside.  :wacko:

Since then I've continued to use standard garden/pond netting but I make sure there are no gaps and that it's pegged down at the bottom - works for me but the next post might well be the one that tells you that they think mice are the main culprit!  :ohmy:

Blueberries are unlikely to grow to more than 5' - for a permanent cage access will probably be your main consideration as you don't want your fortress to make it impossible for you to access as well as the thieves!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 16:52 »
Im pretty sure the blueberries are snaffled by the blackbirds, could hardly turn my back without one teleporting itself inside the netting - I have no idea how they kept doing it the bottom of the netting was screwed down onto the wooden frame.

5ft high would need 2 vertical netting drops of 4ft wide and a centre post, whereas 4ft high would just be one horizontal run, but I don't want to spoil the ship for an ha'porth of tar.   :wacko:

I was thinking of having the panels removable, either on wingnuts or just cable tied to 4 corner posts.  That way I can just detach when it's harvest / weeding time. Im getting a little long in the tooth to be climbing under stuff.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 17:03 »
I do mine 5 ft tall because my tallest bush is about 4 ft. If yours are shorter then adjust so there's about a foot clearance above the tallest bush so the beasties can't peck through holes in the mesh. Little point spending extra money if you don't really need it. If your bushes are close to 4 ft tall you can always prune them down a bit on top. Blueberry plants do benefit from some pruning which few people realize.

As for the strawberries, I agree that at a certain age, crawling about to pick is troublesome. The framing and wingnuts sounds a good idea and is probably what I'll do with mine - section off areas with their own top panels (and numbered). I personally would go for the wingnuts as birds can be terribly smart and either pull cables loose or peck them apart. Wind is also a problem for me and something rigid will save me grief.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 17:04 »
4' would probably be OK - you might lose a few of the top ones if an enterprising blackbird decides to sit on top of the netting (although I don't think they have got much of a head for heights when feeding I sometimes think they would resort to almost anything to get to what seems to be their favourite treat!  ;)

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 17:22 »
Feed the birds tupence a bag tupence tupence tupence a bag lol   :lol:.Hang up some juicy slugs  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 21:35 »
I suppose this should really be in design & constructions but ...

Settled then 4' tall - I'll add another base board to give 4'6" in total.

Do we have an option on mesh size? ½" or 1" Im concerned that ½" would keep out all those big fuzzy bumbles - you know the ones it looks like you could stroke.  :D  ::) but I wouldn't want the blue birds to strip the plants rather than the blackbirds.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 21:55 »
Do you get mostly bumblebees in your fruits or mostly regular honeybees? I'd size it to with whatever bee is predominant. While 1" would fit all bees, also consider size of your local bird pests.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 22:21 »
Mainly bumbles.

I suppose I could always cover the wire mesh with a finer ploy mesh if it was a problem.   :blush: I'll get 1" ordered tomorrow.  Ta muchly.

xx
Blueberries

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 08:34
by Terry
xx
Blueberries.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 19:07
by Brambles
xx
blueberries

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 22:29
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Blueberries

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 19:20
by Ray

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.