Mice Problem

• 10 Replies

stujem

Mice Problem
« on: June 01, 2011, 00:09 »
Hi all, the other night while locking up my chocks, I saw a mice running across there run, so I put a mice/rat catcher in the run last night and one in the shed, I caught a mouse in the shed, and the run catcher was empty, but tonight I caught a mouse in the run and also in the shed again. Should I kill them? are they any harm to my chocks? or should I get a live bait catcher? I thought the problem with the live catcher is where would I get rid of them. What should I do? (My wife is now calling me a murderur!)
Stu

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mice Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:26 »
the chickens will catch the mice and eat them  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:20 »
My chickens go mad if they find a mouse, it's like the best supper they can have and it's a good game for them  :lol:
Alan

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:27 »
I'm with Joyfull and Alancane here - leave them for your chooks. They'll really appreciate the protein and it's great exercise for them running about trying to catch them.

stujem

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:58 »
I don't think the chocks will stand a chance they only seem to come out when they have gone to bed. I don't really like the idea of my chickens pecking a poor little mouse to death. They must of caught a frog the other day, I found them pecking a dead frog in the garden, so I think they must of found it and killed it? I shooed them away from it and covered it up.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:02 »
they love frogs (they play tug of war with usually 4 of them pulling a limb each, gruesome but then again they are omnivores).

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38 »
Urgh!
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 15:45 »
Funniest thing I ever saw was one of my girls with a grass snake. It was too lively for her to hold and swallow in one go and she was trying her best to avoid the other girls - cue Benny Hill music as they run around the garden.

Stujem - I know it's not nice to watch, but it is nature's way and at least the mouse is eaten and not killed and just thrown away. My hens are certainly quick enough to catch a mouse and will dig up the nest if they find it.

One thing they do say though - if you have mice, you've not got rats!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 16:41 »
We have fed a trap caught dead mouse to our girls.  Then they know mice are food and we don't see many any more!  :ohmy:  Mice have either moved on or are dicing with death entering their enclosure.   :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bramford

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 21:43 »
Oh dear I can't show this thread to the little field mouse that has made his home in the shed  :(

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 22:13 »
I've posted before about the arrangement my hens have with my cat - he catches mice and leaves them on the lawn for them. In exchange .... they don't frighten him too much when they're all in the garden together!
Actually I think my chooks are on the verge of learning to use the cat flap. The cat went through it the other day and the flap got stuck open. The chooks each put their heads through the flap and stretched out their necks to try to reach the cat's food but it was just a bit too far away. I watched and waited to see if any of the chooks would jump through the flap but they didn't... this time! I think it's just a matter of time though!

xx
Mice - Problem??????

Started by darrena on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 13:34
by SMD66
xx
mice

Started by 2sam16 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 20:51
by joyfull
xx
i have mice

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 23:41
by Junie
xx
Mice

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 20:58
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 29 queries.