the last few days

• 17 Replies

titch

the last few days
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:15 »
Our elderly (almost 18 years) cat has been going down hill for a while now, in an elderly way, so took her to the vet yesterday and got the news we have been expecting for some time now (or rather been preparing ourselves for)

Her heart is failing, she has fluid on her lungs - vet wanted to x ray her but i said no, i dont wnat her messed around with as her breathing is difficult enough without all the trauma of a trip in the basket inot town, being moved around etc...............he also said a diuretic might help but porbably not..................all we could do was bring her home and wait till the time is right

even though we have been prepared for this i am so sad, she is such a lovley puss, will miss her terribly

luckily daughter has not gone back to uni yet and will be here til sun, not sure how long we have got with Jaffa (she is a ginger lady) so making the most of her and spoiling her rotten with tasty treats to tempt her to eat

we have had lots of cats over the years, all have passed before her, but Jaff has been here all the kids lives................. :(
just keep breathing................

Brambles

Re: the last few days
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 13:06 »
I am so sorry Titch...  I know exactly how you feel, we have a girl, our oldest cat, who is quite quickly going downhill...  sadly when they reach that time, there is little that the vet can do... We can only make them as comfortable as possible and give them lots of love.   I am just pleased that our girl has had a very long and happy life and has enjoyed the company of three dogs, three other cats and chickens in her lifetime.   I send my love and hugs to you and your Jaff

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 14:10 »
So sorry.  Horrible when you have to make these decisions.   

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 18:05 »
I'm so sorry to hear about Jaffa, my heart goes out to you. It is so hard to lose a loved pet as they are such a part of the family. I hope the rest of the time you have with her is wonderful.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 18:43 »
Big hugs to you and your kids :(

titch

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 18:56 »
thanks everyone - watching her like a hawk as i dont want her to suffer, kids are being very strong, son said today 'she's been there my whole life' -  :) :(

giving her fuss, but too much seems to wear her out and make her breathe harder..........i am thankful that we can make the decision and not have to wait for nature - couldnt bear that

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 17:43 »
Titch,

So sorry to hear about your elderly cat. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

titch

Re: the last few days - update
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 19:51 »
So sad - Jaffa went to sleep at the vets at 4.55pm today - i bawled, hubby bawled, it was time to let her go.  The vet was fabulous, and it was so quick............and so peaceful
she hadnt eaten properly since wed,(couldnt tempt her with anything, not even her favourite things, she might take a tiny morsel but no more)she only   drank a little, peed  very little and moving was an effort - she was sleeping in such an odd manner and last night and today when she did move she just flopped down, and curling up to sleep in strange ways she has never done before - she looked at me today and looked so weary i knew it was time to let her go

she was a feisty girl, used to bat the other cats around the head to tell them off - even if they had done nothing wrong she would run across the room to do it, just so they knew who was in charge

i brought her home so the other cats could see she was gone, they all had a sniff, a look, looked at me and wandered off - they know she is gone

was strange feeding 4 cats instead of five tonight - we will miss her loads (just glad daughter was home from uni, so she got to be with her for the last three weeks of her life)

RIP  Jaffa (alias - jafpuss, guffer, jafferoo, jafjaf) 1992 - 2010

thanks for letting me share - there is a gap on my sofa

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 19:54 by titch »

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving

Rubellite

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 20:00 »
Oh, Titch, I feel for you :(
How sensible to show the others she'd gone. When I lost big Rex in April, I was too upset to think I should show the others he had gone and Ruby really suffered for it. She searched for him for a long while and then became neurotic about going out, but if you mentioned his name her face would light up. I have learnt my lesson there, for sure  :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 20:13 »
So sorry Titch. :(

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 20:33 »
Sending very big hugs Titch.
It's awful when they have to go. You have made a brave choice and Jaffa has not suffered.
She will live on in your memories.

titch

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 20:47 »
Thanks everyone, am a total cat person and love them all, have such fond memories of her, she used to catch bats and bring them in for us  :happy:  good times - am remembering those tonight as i know she is peacful

when we had mimi our devon rex and it was her time, lots of people including the vet suggested i bring her home - it certainly help yanni (my avatar pic) to get his head around losing his companion - but i made  the mistake as you did Rubellite of mentioning her name to him and he mewed pitifully at me.

It was the last kind thing i could do for her

janet12000

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 21:10 »
I Know you must be devastated about Jaffa tonight
It must be horrid for you and I am truly upset for you.
RIP Jaffa. x

raeburg

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 21:37 »
Hugs from here too.  You have made the hardest but kindest decision. 

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.