moles

• 5 Replies

Ghost

moles
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:55 »
Hi

This morning I was near the back of my garden and I saw the soil start moving so I assume I have some moles there. The area's quite shady so I don't really use it. I just have some rashberries there and their roots are quite strong.

Do you guys think I should act now to get rid of them incase they infest the rest of my garden? I mean at the moment they don't seem to be doing much harm. Obviously I don't want them near some of my delicate seed areas.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: moles
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:50 »
Last year I had problems with moles, they are tunnelling from the playing feed at the bottom of my plot, they caused havoc tunnelling along the seed drills etc, so I bought a solar powered repeller which seemed to work, I kept gradually moving it down the plot to shepherded them back into the field. I now have it on guard at the bottom of the plot to keep them away.

I believe the repeller works but it could just as easily left for it’s holidays.
Paul

Ghost

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:59 »
Thanks.

I tend to start all my veg off in the greenhouse so I never sow directly into the ground. So the veg has pretty big roots before I put them in the ground. Do you still think the mole will be a problem with my veg?

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 13:07 »
I believe the repeller works but it could just as easily left for it’s holidays.
Did it go to the MoleDives (Maldives)  :)  Sorry I'll get my coat.   :unsure:

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 13:07 »
They can still uproot surprisingly bit plants- especially if there is a nice juicy worm involved, and the worms tend to be where the compost is, which is where the plants are.

If you get a repeller now you can effectively politely ask them to 'move on', before they cause chaos.

They can be helpful in a very compacted area, but most people tend to chase them off.

Other than my gran who has a tendency to use molehill soil in containers mixed with a bit of manure, as she reckons its nice and fine grained! ::)
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 13:29 »
Act now or they will riddle underneath your property with runs and tunnels. We have a constant battle against them. We have a solar repeller which does seem quite effective, but it needs to be moved around from time to time or they seem to get used to it in one place and even squeeze past it. ::). Our property having been empty for over 30 years before we bought it, they've had plenty time to get established and we have such a huge network of tunnels under our garden that we have traps set permanently, which are checked daily and catch quite frequently. Its a thing we would prefer not to have to do, but they cause so much damage if left to themselves. :( Even with all this in place, we still get molehills in the middle of veg beds, inside the polytunnel, on the lawn, etc, etc,.......... from time to time. ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Moles

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 21, 2013, 07:12
by arugula
xx
Moles

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2018, 17:20
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Moles

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 02, 2011, 18:24
by 8doubles
xx
Moles... how to get rid of them

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 22:08
by bigsprouts

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 36 queries.