new coop - red mite?

• 5 Replies

Flyin Chickens

new coop - red mite?
« on: October 07, 2010, 16:31 »
I have the chance to get a new (2nd hand) coop for my girls but am worried about the coop.
the person who has the coop now has said that she had a red mite problem.
If I get the coop but left it empty until next spring/summer would I still have an issue with the mites?
She is going to give it a full clean and disinfection and I will do the same over the winter.
Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: new coop - red mite?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 16:56 »
In my opinion that is the best way to introduce red mite if you've never had it before.

GrannieAnnie won't mind me telling you that it can even come in under the rivet heads on second hand metal feeders and drinkers.

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:35 »
That was my thought....I have never had RM and is not something I want to give my two just for the sake of saving £££.

I was hopeing that if the coop was empty for 6 months that and RM would have died in that time.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19 »
Red mite can live for 18 monts or more without a meal :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:50 »
We even had it on a brand new ark that we bought to show to people.  It hadn't been taken down where the other coops were.  It was sat on the side patio, when I noticed them running around on the outside of it! 

but the chap who made it and sold it to us did have a mite problem himself, but his house was the other side of the road to his workshop.  So he must have carried them with him when he went to work!  :(

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:13 »
I have the chance to get a new (2nd hand) coop for my girls but am worried about the coop.
the person who has the coop now has said that she had a red mite problem.
If I get the coop but left it empty until next spring/summer would I still have an issue with the mites?
She is going to give it a full clean and disinfection and I will do the same over the winter.
Thanks

Without an effective insecticide treatment cleaning alone isn't going to eliminate them. If this house has any roof felt used they will be living under that, every crack and seam is a potential home and the eggs can stay dormant for a very longtime.

Never just buy on price.  Buying a house is one of the most critical decisions you'll make so it's worth reading about the features you will need and doing some research on designs and ease of cleaning etc. Materials, internal design as well as external design and robustness are all important considerations.

HF
Truth through science.

xx
Red Mite/New Coop

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 22:10
by henamoured
lamp
Coop painting & red mite

Started by featherhead on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 00:35
by hillfooter
xx
Chicken coop and red mite

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 18:51
by hillfooter
xx
Evacuating coop due to red mite

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 11:20
by griff

Page created in 0.641 seconds with 38 queries.