Poorly hen...impacted crop?

• 12 Replies

Carrie99

Poorly hen...impacted crop?
« on: May 10, 2014, 18:45 »
Hi All,

Just after a little advice. My oldest ex-bat has been very lethargic now for going on a fortnight, she keeps picking up then appears to be looking unwell again, tail down, not moving much and eating, although not very interested. Today when I left for work she didn't eat anything (which they normally all rush to do on a morning) so I was extra concerned. Got back from work and she appeared to be hiccuping, still sat not doing much else. I read up a bit and thought maybe this could be an impacted crop, I picked her up and had a feel of her (which I have done already to try and check for anything untoward but thought it worth another go). I still wouldn't have said her crop felt too unusual, perhaps a little bouncy, but when i started to massage lightly and picked her up she was immediately sick - very watery fluid type sick, no food as such. I massaged a little longer and she appeared slightly more perky...

My questions are...should I look for any other symptoms? If it was a crop issue from the start wouldn't it have been worse by now...could this by a symptom of something caused as a result of another issue? And...should I try giving her olive oil?

Thanks in advance, I always find it awful when they're ill as I know it could be a million things but would hate to think it's something simple to cure and I'm not helping!

Carrie

bantam novice

Re: Poorly hen...impacted crop?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 22:12 »
Does her breath and the discharge from her crop smell bad?  It could be sour crop rather than impacted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Carrie99

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 22:58 »
I checked when I was with her earlier and couldn't notice any odour at all?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 23:54 »
If you're not sure, you might find this helpful: HERE

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:50 »
1 trick I learned for impacted crop was to buy some maggots from a fishing tackle shop. Not only will the maggots eat there way through the problem but your ladies will love them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:17 »
if you use maggots then please make sure they are the natural ones not the dyed ones.
Staffies are softer than you think.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:32 »
Sorry forgot to mention just get the white maggots rather than the coloured.

Carrie99

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 10:35 »
Thanks for replies. I've literally just read about the maggot idea and was mulling it over when I seen you had replied. Might pick some up tomorrow, i gave her crop a massage and turned her slightly downward today and she vomited some fairly disgusting gunk but she's still very lethargic, perhaps more than yesterday so I've got her inside at the moment. Should I repeat the massage technique throughout the day?

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 21:53 »
Hello - I'm no expert but we had this recently.  two panicky trips to the vet and if its not solid it will go through and she'll be fine.
I lifted my girl up and leaned forward gently 'milking' her crop and got her to sick up as much gunk as poss - in short doses so she could breathe.
Also - the live maggots - she wouldnt touch them at first but then - bingo - she wanted them and over a few days she came right. She need her grit to help her digestion.

Hang in there!!!!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Carrie99

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 19:46 »
Finding white maggots is a task isn't it? I tried three fishing type shops today and no white ones to be found as yet. She is however picking up, much better today and stropping about with a little attitude back so I'm hoping the emptying of the crop method  is working. I'd like to get the maggots just to be on the safe side though, my quest continues!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:43 »
I thought they all would have had un-dyed ones  :unsure:

Carrie99

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 21:23 »
I'm clueless on such things. My partner reckons maggots are more for fresh water fishing maybe and as I live on the coast perhaps they're less in demand?! I've found another shop near work so will try there tomorrow though.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 09:55 »
If you're really struggling to find white maggots, I'd get the coloured ones anyway.  I did this when I first started with hens and there were no issues other than having a few eggs that the yolks were tainted red.  Didnt look very appetising, but the main thing was getting rid of the bulk in my hens crop, and getting her better.  It worked.   I always ask for white ones now, but did buy several batches of the coloured ones in my novice days, but with no harm caused to my girls.

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Impacted Crop

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 20:35
by princesspoultry
xx
Is this impacted crop?

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 14:09
by Bubbles
xx
impacted crop

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 16:57
by Foxy

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 39 queries.