tomatoes

• 6 Replies

colinc

tomatoes
« on: May 16, 2011, 21:04 »
I have grown my tomatoes from seeds and have loads of tomatoes, in the green house in pots in the garden and in beds, they are all about 6 inches tall. Next question is whats best way of looking after them the do's and do no,ts of tomatoes care.

archies plot

Re: tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 21:26 »
hi, colin what i do is i dont let the compost dry out, put canes in the pots to tie them to, pinch out any side shoots, and feed after the first truss of flowers have set, i feed mine with liquid manure, i hope this helps as i am new to veg growing myself, maybe somebody with more expereance knows other tips. regards archie

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 21:46 »
Keep an eye on your local weather forecast and cover with fleece if temperatures under 10 are forecast. If you don't keep them warm enough they can turn blue, and then never really grow properly :(

Mine get fed with liquid tomato feed, the one with seaweed added :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 23:50 »
And beware of plant hygiene when pinching out side shoots... if you're a smoker, always wash your hands before handling them because Tobacco Mosaic virus can be transmitted to the plant. (Tobacco and tomato are related, and its easily spread from one to the other)

colinc

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:11 »
When you say fed when the first set of flowers have set what is meant by this expression.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:13 by colinc »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:41 »
When the flower petals have died & dropped off, you'll see a very small, green tomato. At this stage they need  watering with a solution of tomato food, such as Tomorite, or Doff. (There are others). Follow the instructions on the bottle.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51 »
When you say fed when the first set of flowers have set what is meant by this expression.

When you see tiny baby green tomatoes forming after the first lot of flowers  ;)  It means the flowers have been successfully pollinated and the immature seeds are fertilised.  The fruits will then start to develop.  To aid pollination especially those in a greenhouse, gently cup your hand under the flowers and tap the flower stem with your fingers.  Outdoors the action of wind and insects will usually be sufficient.  Feeding will provide the right nutrients for the fruit to develop normally - it tends to be higher in potash to encourage flowers and fruit.  A commercial tomato feed will have the ingredients in the right proportions but you can make your own but make sure you dilute it down.  Some people put banana skins in the planting hole, or make a nettle or comfrey tea (but be warned the smell after it has been stewing in a bucket can be mind blowing horrendous  :lol:)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:52 by BabbyAnn »

xx
tomatoes

Started by samk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 18:14
by Yorkie
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Decka on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 11:12
by Growster...
xx
New to tomatoes

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 17:52
by Kristen
xx
Should I put the tomatoes out?

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:36
by Composto

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 40 queries.