Onions

• 5 Replies

superluke2

Onions
« on: August 03, 2009, 19:53 »
Been on holiday and top growth of onions are flattenened although still green. Is this time for harvest? Do I wait for dry weather? I Know they have tobe dried but whats the procedure. Sorry first year grower and the onions look great to date.

Beetroot queen

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 19:55 »
Someone said earlier while the tops are still green they should be left, the top leaves dry and go brown, then they are ready  ;)

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 13:35 »
Yes, the Queen is right. However it's never dry enough up here for long enough to dry them outside so I lift them when the stalks are still green but have fallen horizontal.  I lift them on a dry day, leave them a few hours, and then take the tops off and the outer skins, and cut the roots right off and leave them to dry in the shed. Worked a treat last year and I've just done the same with my crop for this year. When can we expect a long dry spell in August otherwise - last few years September has been better than August.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 16:07 »
I never cut the tops off mine until they are dried out.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 16:13 »
If the tops are removed then there is no material to use for "stringing-up". Nothing looks better than a gaggle of full strings of onions!!!!

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 18:41 »
I treat mine the traditional way. Once the tops have gone over take a fork and just ease the onions a little to break the roots but do not lift them. This will hasten the ripening process. When the tops are starting to go limp pull them up, rub off any soil and place them back on top of the soil to dry. Alternatively construct some sort of a drying rack and put them on that. If it can be under cover but airy all the better. Treat them gently at all times.

When the neck of the onions start to dry out pull off any leaves. If they do not pull off easily they are not ready. Remove and loose skins but do not force them.

The golden rule is that when they are dry, dry them some more. The slightest hint of damp in the necks and they will not keep.

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 35 queries.