The difference between a coldframe and unheated greenhouse?

• 6 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
I'm really confused by this  :wacko: What is the difference between an unheated greenhouse and a coldframe?  I have bought one of those four tier mini 'greenhouses' with a plastic cover to have at home so I can keep an eye on my plant babies. I don't have room for a 'proper' glass one.  We don't really have the room (or the funds) for a greenhouse at the lottie at the moment. I could build a coldframe, for home or lottie, no problem but do I need to? Help!

Trillium

Re: The difference between a coldframe and unheated greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 21:08 »
Coldframes are usually permanent, smaller, shorter rigid structures mostly used to harden off plants.

Mini unheated greenhouses can be any size and used for the same but primarily for growing small crops like lettuce, spinach, etc in cooler weather. Keeping off snow, hail, wind, etc is the main need for winter crops. They can also be double insulated for more protection.

The portable mini greenhouses have soft poly coverings and temps can fluctuate too much for long term crops. But are excellent for hardening off plants if you keep an eye on them. They can also turn into kites. I've just set mine up and always have to lay concrete blocks around the base.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 21:37 »
Thanks for explaining the difference! I did buy the mini green house for hardening off plants (veg and flowers) rather than long term crops.  So looks like it will do the job.
We treated ourselves to a large walk in netted tunnel this year which is why a greenhouse will have to wait! 
After having to go out at 1.30 in the morning to retrieve the mini green house from the other side of the garden I sort of buried the bottom of it and anchored it down by putting two long broom handles on either side of the frame at the very back and whacking them down really well.  I then cable tied the frame to the handles.  Seems to have done the trick so far.  It's been a bit windy here (again) and its made no attempt to take off yet! Cheers!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:38 »
Hubby made two cold frames this year , the neighbour passed on two old windows so we used those, works perfectly. All my seeds went straight in once sowed, only one I failed with was the toms, maybe they thought it was too cold.  :wacko:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47 »
Thanks Beetroot Queen.  We have all the bits and bobs for a coldframe.  My OH is a mild mannered insurance underwriter by day and a ninja skip diver by night! Who knew  :blink:! I just can't get my head round starting some stuff indoors, some out in cold frame, greenhouse whatever.  Then doing the hokey cokey with some things but not others (in/out/in/out) at night!  Gah! Its bringing out my OCD tendencies for everything to be just so  ::). I must breath and relax!

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:31 »
A cold frame should be designed so as the light's can be opened fully during the day and then closed at night. This exposes the plant's to a true outside temp during the day to harden them off. This cannot be acheived in either a cold gh or 4 tier plastic gh.

ryetek

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19 »
On top of all the other comments made I also use the cold frame to start of some seeds such as lettuce, brassicas and leeks etc as well as hardening off plants. I do this because even in an unheated greenhouse the temperature gets too warm during the day.

xx
Using unheated greenhouse yet?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 19:15
by rictic
xx
Greenhouse and coldframe?

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 21:48
by Elcie
xx
Toms in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 01:06
by Lichfield Lass
xx
Seedlings in unheated greenhouse

Started by mogilvie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 16:57
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 37 queries.