I broke my Jam.

• 7 Replies

Lardman

I broke my Jam.
« on: August 15, 2009, 15:30 »
Please don't laugh - The kitchen and most thing in it are a complete mystery to me, its all black magic I tell you.

I tried to produce some Jam yesterday with the huge amount of yellow plums I have. I made 2 batches the first I followed a recipe using 3lbs of fruit and 1 ½ lbs of sugar. It has set but is  so sweet it is almost inedible (at least for me).  The second batch I used 3 lbs of fruit and 1lb of sugar and its not set at all and is still a little on the sweet side.

Can I fix the second batch ? I don't want to add more sugar though - A quick Google showed pectin available in sachets, can I reheat the jam and add some? Will it set properly or just taste rank.

I've got a tree full of damson to use soon so I was hoping to get  it right before then.

On a side note - how long will the burns on my arms take to heal where it spat at me  :ohmy: ::)

leena

Re: I broke my Jam.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 15:37 »
Maybe you could add rhubarb to take away the sweetness. i have reheated jam when
i made 30 jars that didnt set. i cheated though and added jelly powder that i found in the drawer (dont tell any one though) I have learned now to drop test the jam in a large dish of freezing cold water .

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 17:08 »
Yes you can re-heat it and add pectin. Silver Spoon Pectin is available at Morrisons and Asda (plus some Co-ops) and comes in a packet with 3 sachets for £1.25. You should only need 1 sachet if you've used 3 lbs fruit to 1 lb sugar. Do remember to thoroughly clean and re-sterilize the jars before you put the jam back in and discard any discs that you may have used.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 22:57 »
Ta both - I'll grab some pectin and try reheating it then.

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:37 »
Also adding lemon juice helps cut the oversweetness, my OH hates very sweet stuff so I'm always having to adjust the sweetness.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 08:37 »

On a side note - how long will the burns on my arms take to heal where it spat at me  :ohmy: ::)

That's why my MIL has a special green caguole that only comes out at jam making time!

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 15:52 »
That's smart idea :D

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 17:49 »

That's why my MIL has a special green caguole that only comes out at jam making time!

Wish I'd covered up - It really has left a very nasty burn. Similar to putting a ciggy out on the back of my hand.

On a brighter note both the jams taste a lot better than the supermarket rubbish. I may even go so far as to say they taste like - Jam.

I'll have to bribe friends and family members for their empty jars in future.

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 29 queries.