Red currant shrub

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Red currant shrub
« on: July 01, 2017, 18:26 »
One for those with a large crop that they were wondering what to do with.  It comes from the River Cottage preserves book.

Start with a redcurrant jelly recipe and use some of the juice here.  Makes about 1L.  If the mixture forms a pectin gel lump at first, don't worry.  That will go when you add the sugar.

Mix 300ml red currant juice, 600ml rum or brandy, the finely grated zest of an orange and 1tsp grated or ground nutmeg in a large jar.  Seal and leave in a cool dark place for 7-10 days.

Transfer to a pan, add 300g granulated sugar and heat gently to 60 degrees C to dissolve the sugar.  Strain through muslin or a jelly bag and bottle.

Put back in that cool dark place for a few months to mature, open and enjoy either on its own or mixed half and half into dry martini with a splash of orange juice.  I recommend the martini cocktail  :)

ghost61

Re: Red currant shrub
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 21:07 »
Just make red currant wine..... Drinkable after six weeks.  No faff.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 20:17 »
I made redcurrant wine last year as well as redcurrant ice cream. Eyeing up the neighbours crop again.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:48 »
Lucky you i won't be mking anything with mine,i only have 5 berries total :lol:,hope its better next year :wub:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 14:30 »
Thank you New Shoot... I shall try that one!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 15:59 »
This is really just a test innit  ::)

I keep seeing 'Red Current shrub' in Homebrew, so think I need to move it to GYO  :nowink:  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 19:54 »
News, I wish Reading was closer to Hawkhurst, like by about a few yards...

Our reds are now due, and I bought a straining bag to make jelly, and here you are suggesting superb drinks, which we normally do every evening, and lunchtime if we're happy enough, so forget being retired, think of England...

Must go and check them tomorrow, although Mrs Growster has booked me for strimming so they may need another day on the bush!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 21:13 »
This is really just a test innit  ::)

I keep seeing 'Red Current shrub' in Homebrew, so think I need to move it to GYO  :nowink:  :lol:

According to Pam the Jam in her book, its an old fashioned fruit drink - no idea why its a shrub, but who am I to argue  :lol: 

Our reds are now due, and I bought a straining bag to make jelly, and here you are suggesting superb drinks, which we normally do every evening, and lunchtime if we're happy enough, so forget being retired, think of England...

:lol:  I read Sunshine's gardening diary and she is awash with currants.  I thought this drink would be right up her street, hence posting it here.  I can see you and Mrs G enjoying red currant martini cocktails though.  They are pretty good  :D

You can sub the currant juice for juice from marmalade oranges as well.  I've tried that version and can also recommend it  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 18:43 »
and correctly you identified my street, New Shoot!

I am going to create a Rum and Jostaberry version!!And to make sure I have all the required cocktail ingredients to hand when we are ready to partake, I bought some dry vermouth in Asda just now as it was on special offer...
 a "sign" if there ever was one 🤣

Oh, and should you be around this street at the special time New Shoot, you will be welcome to partake of a snifter... best get someone to drive you over and back though lol

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 19:51 »
Hey, News and Sunny, forget the hundred and odd miles, I'll be there in less than two hours...;0)

xx
Red currant gin anyone?

Started by A. Fallowfield on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:04
by New shoot

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.