pesky pecking cockrels!!

• 24 Replies

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
Re: pesky pecking cockrels!!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 09:10 »
OMG....lol... i dont do being that afraid of an animal that i have to go in armed!!...well...other than my feet at least... no no, dont get me wrong...i dont kick them, i just lift my foot so that they peck that instead of my leg!!!!!!   little tinkers tho arent they....  :wacko:

arrowni

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 18:14 »
lol but his rooster was far from little, don't think I have ever saw a rooster that big, well apart from one mof my favourite cartoon characters........foghorn leghorn. :D :D

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 09:35 »
lmao... i think he is ace !!  I say.... i think he is ace.... (and no its not Fred Elliots reincarnation)

arrowni

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 20:22 »
you can say that again, I say you can say that again lol

woodburner

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 10:23 »
Where about in Essex are you because if you want to drop him over to me, I will happily take him from you.

I am in Ipswich, near the new Ravenswood development.

Hmm, if he's going in anyone's pot it's going to be mine.   :tongue2: 
Once he/they are dead I have no problem with them, it's just that they are so calm and trusting, and I just can't breach that trust.  :unsure:  :(
Ironically, I don't think I'd have a problem killing Nutty (except he's huge and hard to catch/handle) or Blue, but they are the ones I need to keep.  :dry:  ::)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

arrowni

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 23:02 »
The last few days that I have entered the pen my rooster charges me. Even when I put my leg out to get him to back off he still charges and tries to jump up with his feet out. This morning for the first time that I have noticed he had like a ring of feathers standing out like a fan around his neck and was very aggressive. I put my foot up so he would hit the bottom of my shoe if he was to charge at me but this made him run for it for some reason.

Maybe letting them see the sole of your shoe is the answer to pecking cockerals, or maybe its just my rooster. After that when I went into the pen to put them in for the night he never bothered with me.

Vember

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33 »
I've been having a think about these troublesome cocks  ???

If you had them from babies, did you cockadoodle do at them when they were little ???

Obviously they see you as a threat hence attacking you, but I'm just wondering if the above behavior could have made that worst ???

All birds are different I know and maybe I think too much :lol:
Just a thought really ???

Sarah :)

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25 »
lol... i dont remember doodling at them...i did purr at them and they all went potty...lol...

Harry is going to a new home...apparently my farmer friend has a job for him....I am hoping its not filling an empty pot....*L*...

Jasper is getting more pecky as the days go by, but i havent worked out how to actually get hold of him as yet...lol... very tactical i think. I have come to the conclusion he REALLY doesnt like my raincoat tho... goes for the zips everytime!!

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 18:34 »
My cockerel attacks the children and hubby - whenever he goes for me I pick him up, give him a 'cuddle' (hold fimly under one arm) and walk around like that for a couple of minutes. That usually does the trick for awhile. However - I havenoticed that as the days get longer his temper gets shorter!

woodburner

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 12:22 »
The last few days that I have entered the pen my rooster charges me. Even when I put my leg out to get him to back off he still charges and tries to jump up with his feet out. This morning for the first time that I have noticed he had like a ring of feathers standing out like a fan around his neck and was very aggressive. I put my foot up so he would hit the bottom of my shoe if he was to charge at me but this made him run for it for some reason.

Maybe letting them see the sole of your shoe is the answer to pecking cockerals, or maybe its just my rooster. After that when I went into the pen to put them in for the night he never bothered with me.
Be careful holding out your foot to keep him off, one time I did that to Nutty and he kind of held on with his neck at scrabbled away at my ankle with his spurs, unfortunately I didn't have boots on . . . I have since trimmed his spurs with dog nail clippers, and while they would probably still scratch if I forget I'm not wearing boots, I don't think he will draw blood again. I think I need to trim them again soon though, as they keep growing just like our fingernails.

I've been having a think about these troublesome cocks  ???

If you had them from babies, did you cockadoodle do at them when they were little ???

Obviously they see you as a threat hence attacking you, but I'm just wondering if the above behavior could have made that worst ???

All birds are different I know and maybe I think too much :lol:
Just a thought really ???

Sarah :)

I think Nutty thinks I am an errant hen who should be taught not to keep running off. He dances and waggles his wattles at me like he does the hens, and crows like crazy when I go out of sight.
Sometimes he does do the agressive stuff, but it's usually only after I've pushed off his first advances. I think he gets very confused then  :lol:

xx
possible cockrels?

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 21:30
by themagicaltoad1
xx
cockrels

Started by samuria on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 19:37
by ANHBUC
smiley
Do cockrels go broody?????????

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 20:33
by Hengist
xx
Information on cockrels please

Started by shamina on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 22:55
by Foxy

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.