Advice for a new member please :)

• 3 Replies

mothernature

Advice for a new member please :)
« on: August 08, 2009, 22:47 »
Hey all, what a fab site! Only just found it today, so thanks form me first off!

We own the house, and it is semi detached. A neighbour in our street breeds and races pigeons and another breeds rabbits for food.

We are looking to get a few (4 max) laying hens (no cockerel). The hens will be in an enclosed coop with attached run and will not be able to escape (we hope!) as the structure is sound and secure. And they will be kept in the locable roost area at night and all the food will be in metal containers and they will be cleaned and cared for daily.

Now I have no idea what it says on the deeds to the house, but these houses are over 50 years old.
But if there is a no livestock rule in place is this to protect the neighbours from noise of a cockerel and the potential smell of neglectful husbandry?

And would it be advisable to just have the chickens and continue with good housekeeping?

We are fortunate enough to live in a street with very nice neighbours, a little nosy at times but very nice. So we are hoping there will be no complaints.

Id really appreciate your views on where we stand legally here please Smile

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

jo40

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice for a new member please :)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 23:01 »
Hello

Before I got my hens I looked at - www.animalloversweb.com/chickens- it should tell you everything you need to know.
Anyone can keep chicken :)
Enjoy, 4  :blush: we will see, that's what I said :nowink:
Jo 

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:34 »
Hi, you're more likely to encounter restrictions if you are in a rented property. Keeping garden chickens has become a very popular thing lately, seems like everyone's doing it. 4 shouldn't give you any problems and you don't need a licence for less than 50. Provided you don't keep a cockerell which might annoy the neighbours you should be ok. They're not generally that noisy or smelly but watch out for rats and urban foxes. A few fresh eggs for the neighbours now and then should help to keep them sweet. Good luck & have fun.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:01 »
i contacted the council prior to keeping chickens, and as long as you are not having hundreds that could be a health hazard in a town, 6 was no problem, and did not need to be registered with them
martyn

xx
New member who needs advice

Started by Langers on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 12:33
by Sarah Mitchell
xx
New member with chicken crop/neck/throat proiblem - advice please

Started by richienat on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 11:56
by richienat
xx

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 13:21
by Zak the Rabbit
xx

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 18:44
by Vember

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 35 queries.