Bullying

• 2 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Bullying
« on: April 10, 2009, 15:09 »
Hi all - I noticed today that one of our hens had some blood where her tail feathers start - there was also a little on one of her wings.  On close inspection, it appeared that feathers had been plucked out presumably by one of the others.

I then noticed that another had some raw feathers on her wing too - so it looked like the unharmed one had been pecking at them.  I can't say I've noticed this before, and certainly haven't seen any blood or raw bits.

As the day's gone on I've kept an eye on them and there definately is a bully - she just relentlessly pecks at the other two.  So, I've separated them by dividing the run in two.  THe only problem is that they don't all have access to the house as a result - and give that it's now raining I'm not sure what to do.  Should I separate them in the house too or do they generally settle at night?

We were a little late letting them out this morning so I can only assume it's happened then...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated - there is some shelter on the run for the isolated bully...

THanks

D

Foxy

Re: Bullying
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 15:16 »
Keep the bully separated during the day if possible, I would also use some purple spray to disguise any red, raw areas, this will also keep the area clean.
Also, a lack of protein can trigger an episode of feather pecking so perhaps a little kitten food for them might help. Finally hanging CDs or cabbages to peck at can distract them a bit.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Re: Bullying
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 15:17 »
THanks Foxy - will give that all a go - we've used a bit or purple spray already but will put more on.

Luckily we have a kitten so will give them some of her food :-)

Also - it is raining here and we recently lost a hen to pneumonia so I'm worried the isolated hen will get damp and poorly... do you think, with the bit of shelter, she'll be ok for a day or two at least?

Thanks again :-)

xx
bullying between two!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 18:49
by peggyprice
xx
Bullying

Started by cejx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 18:45
by cejx
xx
bullying

Started by happyclucker on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 13:22
by joyfull
xx
Bullying hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 17:22
by Frizzle1

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.