Green Bell Peppers

• 4 Replies

walker76

Green Bell Peppers
« on: March 02, 2020, 23:50 »
I have a green bell pepper plant that is giving me a lot of fruit but at the moment they are still too bitter, however they are getting so big and there are so many on the branches that they are starting to fall over. how long to you leave them on the branch? and any tips or recipes to make with them? TIA

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Green Bell Peppers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 00:24 »
I'd roast the peppers with whole garlic cloves in the oven and then blitz them both in a blender with some chilli flakes, olive oil, honey and a drop of soy sauce to make a nice sweet & sour dip for crisps/ chips/ nachos.

walker76

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 01:13 »
I'd roast the peppers with whole garlic cloves in the oven and then blitz them both in a blender with some chilli flakes, olive oil, honey and a drop of soy sauce to make a nice sweet & sour dip for crisps/ chips/ nachos.

That should great, thank you :)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 17:45 »
ahhh...just realised where you live :D
I chopped mine up and froze them on a flat baking tray then bagged them up for use in winter.  still using them now in pasta sauces/pizza toppings/frittatas etc.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:30 »
You'll be coming into your autumn now I suppose, so you could stake the plants and hope they ripen to red. I have started to use fermentation of peppers and chillies and there's loads of information on the internet about this. Basically make a brine of one teaspoon of salt to one cup (American size) of warm water. Chop up the peppers and add garlic chillies an onion or shallot and a carrot and cover with the brine. Make sure everything stays under the brine - I use Kilner jars and a small freezer bag part filled with water to keep them under. Let it ferment for 5 to 7 days (or longer if you like fermented veg) then strain off the brine, reserving the liquid. Blend all the veg with a cup of the brine, add apple vinegar and/or sugar to get the taste that suits you and put into jars in the fridge. Should keep up to 6 months - and the flavour develops over that time. Fermenting is the only method of preservation that improves the nutritional value of the food - lots of good pro-biotic microbes for the gut!

xx
Bell Peppers

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 12:00
by casper
xx
Bell Peppers just seem to want to die

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 15:06
by casper
xx
Bell peppers

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 21:59
by mumofstig
xx
Bell Peppers

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 22:35
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 33 queries.