Storing compost

• 2 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Storing compost
« on: September 03, 2023, 08:08 »
I am doing my best to become self-sufficient with home made compost. I have steadily increased my capacity.
I have picked up equipment over the years (dalek composters and hotbins) and I now have 3 hotbins and 4 daleks.
My current strategy is that once a hotbin is full, i move to the next one…once I get to the third one, I empty the first and put the contents into a dalek to wait until I need to put it on the beds or to use to sow seeds.
I’ve found over the years that this gives the best result in terms of the texture of the compost etc (if I try to use it before this it tends to be more of a mulch, not a finished compost).
My question is - is it a sensible strategy to keep the compost for a few months in a dalek whilst waiting to use it or is it losing its nutritional value?
I know that I am over thinking it a bit 😊.
Thanks

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Storing compost
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 13:23 »
My preference is to either use the new compost when it is finished, or, if I need to store it, I store it in a pile on the ground, not too far from where I'll need it.

A dalek for storage is not a bad choice, at least it is ventilated. The only macronutrient you might lose in dalek storage is some nitrogen. Some forms of nitrogen are volatile, meaning they can escape as a gas (example: ammonia nitrogen).

Potassium and phosphorus will stay put.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 13:30 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

brownp

• Experienced Member
Re: Storing compost
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 14:08 »
My preference is to either use the new compost when it is finished, or, if I need to store it, I store it in a pile on the ground, not too far from where I'll need it.

A dalek for storage is not a bad choice, at least it is ventilated. The only macronutrient you might lose in dalek storage is some nitrogen. Some forms of nitrogen are volatile, meaning they can escape as a gas (example: ammonia nitrogen).

Potassium and phosphorus will stay put.
Thank you…I think I will continue with the dalek and aerate it best I can. Thanks

xx
Storing Oca

Started by jb on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 09, 2008, 19:30
by neal
xx
storing

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 08:40
by DD.
xx
Storing new potatoes

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 11:08
by woodburner
xx
Storing seeds

Started by Steamairy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 15:07
by Trillium

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 37 queries.