Raised bed sizes

• 9 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Raised bed sizes
« on: August 30, 2019, 12:48 »
Good afternoon all,

I'm pretty certain this has been asked, more than once before probably.

I'm about to start making some raised beds from "reclaimed" pallets. They are not all the standard 1 tonne pallets (various sizes).

My question is, in your opinion what size of raised bed works best for you? (not necessarily height but length and width)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ches
Ches

Auntiemogs

Re: Raised bed sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 14:49 »
From my point of view, as big as you can manage to fill (they take a surprising amount), as long as you can reach everything without having to walk on the bed (my newbie mistake  :nowink:)!

AM
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 15:07 »
I currently have

1m x 1m
1m x 0.5m (deep bed)
and i'm thinking my next one will be about 1.5m x 1.5m or maybe even 1.5m x 2m depending on what size timber I can get.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 08:01 »
You need to be able to reach the centre so I would not make it more than 4 feet wide. Length doesn't matter so just max out your space. My beds are 4 foot by 8 foot. I need to access them from both sides to plant a row. I have filled them entirely with home grown compost.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 08:25 »
My beds are 5ft across, a bit too wide in reality & not raised. Because hubby used to  them & needed the width to make it viable. Now I do no dig I’m considering making them narrow but I have slabbed paths in between but might in time remove them (just don’t tell hubby or my children this , as they shifted them all from various places to the plot  lol). For me 3-4 ft would probably be wide enough as I’m only 5ft 2”.
I would add a caution here & say do you really need raised beds? I used to think that was the way to go as that’s what lots of tv programs suggest, but if you’re soil is good & you have good drainage,they aren’t always the best-the soil can dry out very quickly, they take a lot of filling, the wood rots, it’s time consuming to build & fill them. Slugs love to hide down next to the Wood & come out to feast on your plants at night.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 13:22 »
My beds are 5ft across, a bit too wide in reality & not raised. Because hubby used to  them & needed the width to make it viable. Now I do no dig I’m considering making them narrow but I have slabbed paths in between but might in time remove them (just don’t tell hubby or my children this , as they shifted them all from various places to the plot  lol). For me 3-4 ft would probably be wide enough as I’m only 5ft 2”.
I would add a caution here & say do you really need raised beds? I used to think that was the way to go as that’s what lots of tv programs suggest, but if you’re soil is good & you have good drainage,they aren’t always the best-the soil can dry out very quickly, they take a lot of filling, the wood rots, it’s time consuming to build & fill them. Slugs love to hide down next to the Wood & come out to feast on your plants at night.

I have done a lot of thinking about if they are the best option and for me I think they are. My plot is on the side of a mountain and I’m relatively close to the bottom. The soil is awful and doesn’t drain much of at all. My OH shared the plot and she has a dodgy back (this is the main reason for raised beds)

snow white

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 17:17 »
Mine are 80cm x 120cm each bed.  (Pallet toppers).  I have three long side to long side together, if that makes sense.  A gap then another three side by side. I have four sets of these.  If I made them my self I would make them no more than 100cm  wide as the 120cm depth is a little bit too much to reach for me. I would keep the total length of 240cm each bed.  I am 5ft 3". 

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 20:13 »

I have done a lot of thinking about if they are the best option and for me I think they are. My plot is on the side of a mountain and I’m relatively close to the bottom. The soil is awful and doesn’t drain much of at all. My OH shared the plot and she has a dodgy back (this is the main reason for raised beds)

Makes perfect sense in those circumstances I agree.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 11:53 »
For me 3-4 ft would probably be wide enough as I’m only 5ft 2”.

I too am 5ft 2" and 4 ft is the maximum I can cope with. Will you be able to access both sides if you are on the side of a mountain? If not you will need to make them narrower.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13 »
For me 3-4 ft would probably be wide enough as I’m only 5ft 2”.

I too am 5ft 2" and 4 ft is the maximum I can cope with. Will you be able to access both sides if you are on the side of a mountain? If not you will need to make them narrower.

I can access 360 around the beds. I'm thinking 4ft x 6ft

xx
greenhouse dismantle?? sizes??

Started by bailey on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 20:03
by bailey
xx
Raised raised bed

Started by moose on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2020, 09:20
by Kleftiwallah
xx
DIY Raised bed

Started by TW2012 on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 14:27
by Twoflower
xx
Raised bed help

Started by cheshirecheese on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 14:49
by Flatcat

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 48 queries.