Bay Tree Problem

• 7 Replies

flowergirl

Bay Tree Problem
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:06 »
Hi ,

I wonder if anyone can help, last year we moved a very well established bay tree. It didn't have any problems last year, this year all the leaves have died off and it looks really sorry for itself. Can anyone suggest a feed or anything I can do to try and save it ???

Many Thanks in advance .

Flowergirl X

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: Bay Tree Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:33 »
I would give it loads of water as it sounds to me like it is parched. It has been so dry this year and it is probably sensitive due to having its roots disturbed last year. I'd get the hose pipe on it and give it a really good soak, then repeat evry week or so for the rest of the summer (unless the wether turns in to last year's weather  :tongue2: )

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 15:50 »
I've read that you shouldn't feed bay trees, I have 2 that I don't feed although | have repotted them both more than once.  The last one I repotted last year & it looked a bit sad for a while but this year it's looking great with a lot of new growth so maybe they just need abit of time to get over the shock.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 19:22 »
As Faz said, water is it's best chnace. If you have ahose I'd let it run on a slowish tricke for a long time over the root area as bay trees do have deep roots, like a tap root.

Did you dig this up or did it snap off?

The slow water supply will soak right down, not run off.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 20:29 »
I'd go for the watering first as others have suggested, but do check for scale insect (about 2-3mm long, oval shaped, looks like a  slightly raised lump).  This is a common pest on bay trees.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:06 »
Bays absolutely hate root disturbance, so moving would have had a big effect on them. 

Advice above is great, lots and lots of water, no feeding and if you can keep them out of direct/harsh winds thats would be good too.

It wont recover and look good until probably May next year
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:08 »
It would have been ok last year after being moved as it would have relied on the natural resources (sugars etc) that it had stored up. Assuming that you didn't break the tap root and got as many of the finer roots that you could, have you made sure that it is well secured into the ground to allow it to settle in and get the root system growing again? Is the ground where you have replanted it the same ph and type of soil? The leaves are the first things to go as it is a plants natural defence and it's best way to conserve energy. We transplanted a yew a few years ago and for two years it looked dead but last year it started to come back to life  :D, it just takes time.
Staffies are softer than you think.

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:28 »
water very well and then mulch around it
R

xx
problem with walnut tree

Started by philskin on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 19:01
by Alex 98
wireless
2yr old lemon tree problem

Started by SamT on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 18:18
by SamT
clip
Tree for I d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 09:23
by New shoot
clip
Tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 08:44
by johnjsdb

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 31 queries.