new apple trees

• 6 Replies

sloworm

• Experienced Member
new apple trees
« on: May 20, 2009, 22:24 »
Hi
I am hoping for some advice re:- my 3 new eating apples, they were planted oct/nov last year, a semi dwarf root stock looking happy and healthy
my question is should I remove the apples early or let them fully ripen as it is their first year in the ground and there does seem to be plenty of fruit on them...
i have read somewhere that too many apples in the first year can stress the trees

Thanx in anticipation

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: new apple trees
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 22:45 »
I planted a breaburn 2 yrs ago that had about 15 baby apples but only matured 3 large apples and cox's orange pipin 1 yr ago which this yr both are covered in fruit.  Never heard of removing the fruit at all before.   
mrs.ploppy

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:52 »
It's not a fallacy, it's a hard fact that young fruit trees are still setting in their roots and storing energy, so, the first year of fruit flowers should be picked off. It will give the roots a chance to dive in and find more energy rather than expending it on a small quantity of fruit that will actually stay on the tree (versus what got pollinated), and the branches will become stronger to support future crops. It seems a hard gesture, but if you can hold off one more year for fruit, your tree will reward you well.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 21:42 »
Thanx for the advice Trillium,

I couldn't do the deed so sent my son out instead  :lol:  we have an eating apple and cooker over hanging the allotment so hopefully will get a few from there this year instead :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 21:46 »
Trillium's advice is spot on.  Also, as it is still establishing roots you need to water it well over the summer.
Cheese makes everything better.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 21:51 »
will do ice,
they have a good mulch around the base so hopefully that should help too :)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:19 »
Trillium's advice is spot on.  Also, as it is still establishing roots you need to water it well over the summer.

It is also relevant for established trees. You will get fewer, larger fruit if you pick off many of the developing apples. You will still get the same weight of fruit, it will just be easier to gather the crop as there won't be so many. You will still have a lot of fruit that falls off, or the birds get, or that have inhabitants. It's a good idea to have no more than two on the same spur, but if you go down to one, then earwigs don't live in between them.

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
clip
Apple Trees

Started by Kghareeb on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 23:52
by Kghareeb
xx
Apple trees

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 01:06
by 2peasinapod
xx
apple trees

Started by Redlichtie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 22:04
by Redlichtie

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.