GIANT VEG

• 18 Replies

mollski

GIANT VEG
« on: March 17, 2010, 20:27 »
HI does anybody on here grow any veg other than the normal size please?i fancy growing something big,i already grow pumpkins,but fancy a go at something else  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: GIANT VEG
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 23:27 »
I quite fancy growing giant carrots as a project with the kids ... but I never quite find the time to get around to it.

http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/Exhibition-long-show-carrot.html

mollski

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38 »
great thanks  ;)

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:26 »
very interesting i may try the pipe carrots at home but only 2ft tall, the pipes may have dried out a lot quicker than the ones in the sand beds if i ad a little more vermiculite and keep eye on the watering hopefully a success will follow.
your stumpy ones are great :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:28 »
Dan is barking mad!! but I really enjoy reading his blog, and am constantly amazed at how much effort he puts in. 40 sq.m hand dug, nicely surrounded with board edging, fencing to keep the animals out AND a windbreak ... just to grow a couple of Pumpkins - amazing!

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32 »
Have a look at Channel 4 on-line programmes, for a one-off documentary called Half-Ton Veg - I think it's still available on 4-OD.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 20:23 »
i grow giant onions... they dont take up too much room so i like them. the European Giant Vegetables Growers Association(EGVGA) Gives a lot of different types of giant seeds to the members it costs 15 quid to join and you get a lot of seeds of every type of vegetable!!! a lot of giants are grown using compost tea google it and you'll find out loads i use it on all my plants and they grow way better than they used to!

mollski

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 20:55 »
THATS GREAT THANKS

savbo

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 21:00 »
THATS GREAT THANKS

btw they're not capitals, they're giant lower case....

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 21:06 »
I've just started using some of my compost tea on the overwintered cabbages and I'm sure I can see a difference already.
     It's my first year of making it and I'm hoping for some really good results.
I'm going to try it on a couple of each variety of plant I grow and hopefully see a difference
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

mollski

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 21:48 »
ok let me no how you get on

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 18:17 »
I've just started using some of my compost tea on the overwintered cabbages and I'm sure I can see a difference already.
     It's my first year of making it and I'm hoping for some really good results.
I'm going to try it on a couple of each variety of plant I grow and hopefully see a difference

do you use an air pump in the tea to breed the special fungi or do you just use  the basic compost in a pillowcase in water

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 19:09 »
I just put equal quantities of rich manure, and compost in a huge barrel with a little npk and filled up with water, manually wisked with a plasterers wizzer several times a day for about a week then strained it through mothers tights( she doesn't know yet, they were a new pair :lol:) and decanted into plastic bottles
I did this several times over Autumn/winter so have got about 200 lt of the stuff.
Not exactly the way it's suppose to be done I know but I'm hoping it will work for me this year

lizzie1982

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 18:50 »
try Mammoth Onions in Forton, Lancashire.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 20:08 »
Great giant veg seeds last year from Clive Beven. Met him at the National veg show at the Bath & West & a thoroughly nice chap - would recommend highly.  (Scooped longest runner & heaviest marrow at local show this year)  Also read up on Bernard Lavery(available in libraries)  There, that's it, I've given you all my tips now...

xx
giant tea bag

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 16:25
by aelf
xx
Giant Stride Pea help please

Started by Norfolkgrey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 08:04
by Norfolkgrey
xx
giant vegetables

Started by sunflower_info on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 14, 2006, 11:39
by DD.
xx
Giant Rhubarb

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 19:32
by fallen angel

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 33 queries.