Can we go to our plots? YES WE CAN

• 38 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Can we go to our plots? YES WE CAN
« on: March 20, 2020, 13:10 »
We're being told don't go out, limit contact, don't go to the park with your children maybe pets. I was told straight out by someone who works for the council and interacts with the school that if we (me and other parents) insist in going to the park with the children/pets that we'll be told to stay in the house and face legal action if we don't behave.

Can we visit our plots?

I imagine just about all of allotment sites are open areas of grounds away from houses in a site. Many of us will have to drive to get to them-we do but some of the people who have plots in our site live close enough to walk. We've maybe 80 plots in our site and we hardly ever see anyone on the other plots.

We've reviewed what we're growing and potatoes and the on site fruit is it because we maybe not able to visit often.

Goosegirl

Re: Self isolation, can we go to our plots?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 13:59 »
I don't see why there should be a problem going to your plot just because it's outside your home. As in all cases, keep a distance of about 6 foot between you and anyone else and all should be ok. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 17:32 »
See this thread, where your question has already been discussed  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=131820.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 17:35 »
I think there is some truth in what you have been told.  If people don't take the advice on social distancing seriously, there may be a lock down and punishments for flouting it.

If you are self-isolating because you are at high risk, rather than social distancing, that is a different matter.  You have to assess the situation carefully and decide what is best for you.

For now it seems plot and park visits are legal, but that may alter very fast if circumstances change.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 17:48 »
I think there is some truth in what you have been told.  If people don't take the advice on social distancing seriously, there may be a lock down and punishments for flouting it.

If you are self-isolating because you are at high risk, rather than social distancing, that is a different matter.  You have to assess the situation carefully and decide what is best for you.

For now it seems plot and park visits are legal, but that may alter very fast if circumstances change.

We're being prudent aka social distancing unless at the shop where other people don't seem to care. But the parks in London are being shut down, Snowdonia and parts of the Highlands are swarming with people.

I doubt that allotments would get a pass from the banned locations list. Even if you do drive there and it's far from houses which would limit how close you would be to people.

Has the possibility of being banned from visiting or having limited access to their plots changed what people plan on growing or doing?

We're going to plant onions for pickling -lift when small and potatoes up the plot. We're debating going to lift some of the sod and grow peas, beans, onions and lettuce.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 20:31 »
yep this as Yorkie says this topic  has been up for discussion and it seem most agree  that as long as you keep a safe distance as advise it could be as your in the fresh air and not in social contact like in shops or on a bus and provided you can get to the allotments by car or walking on your own maybe its not a problem and it gets you out of the house

we are going down the allotments next week unless things change again :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 21:38 »
Note - that if you are self isolating because you think you may have the virus, then you shouldn't go out at all. Mind you, if you get it and feel ill, you wouldn't want to go, would you? ;)

It's only pensioners and others in the 'at risk' group who have the option of going out as long as they keep away from other people.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 13:08 »
After yesterday shocking news and pictures of people totally disregarding all advice, we shall probably go to total lockdown tomorrow. THEN can we go to our plots.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

MustbeMad

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 21:12 »
It has just been announced that you can only go out for just a few reasons - I guess going to the plot counts as 'getting food' and 'exercise'??

Having finally got the polytunnel sorted and sown things today I hope that is the case, fortunately I can walk there and usually do not pass anyone and the plots are all separate anyway.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 21:32 »
I figured that the walk to the plot and anything I do there counts as exercise, in reality it probably means that I'll go less often.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 21:36 »
You’ll have to miss out the coffee mornings on the plot though  ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 22:49 »
I shall be going twice a  day to see to the chickens, sometimes I’ll stay longer & garden & gather food. I won’t be going anywhere else apart from shopping for food at the end of next week!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 20:53 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 07:39 »
Our site is now a no go zone, as far as I can make out you are permitted to check/ feed and water poultry on site but you are not permitted to stay and garden for the next 3 weeks.

I just hope all the idiots listen now so we can get on top of this.
stay safe peeps
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
Yes we can!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 07:53 »
Michael Gove has just said on BBC Breakfast that working on an allotment is acceptable as 'exercise'. However golf is not!

Ralph.
I need more space...

jambop

Re: Yes we can!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 08:35 »
Michael Gove has just said on BBC Breakfast that working on an allotment is acceptable as 'exercise'. However golf is not!

Ralph.
I don't know many who would want to go out and whack a ball about a golf course on their own. It is a competitive game... and sometimes players will handle each others balls... by mistake of course! Which could cause the transmission of the virus! :lol:

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 55 queries.