Saving runner bean seed

• 12 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Saving runner bean seed
« on: October 04, 2012, 13:57 »
I've left some nice big pods on my still very healthy (and still flowering) White Lady plants. I was intending to leave them there until they dried, to save the seeds. However, with the way the overnight temps are dropping now, are they going to be damaged if we have a bit of frost? I know it's best for them to dry on the plants, but they're nowhere near dry yet and I'm wondering whether the frost will harm them.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Saving runner bean seed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 15:02 »

Grab a handfull (while still on the plant) and pop them into a brown paper bag within a plastic bag, but take the plastic bag off each morning.  That should protect the pods & seeds until dry.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 15:05 »
I'm in the same boat as you Shokkyy (same variety too!)

The pods don't have to dry completely on the plant - the most important thing is that the seeds inside are sufficiently well developed to be viable next year. Once the fleshy part of the pod has started to dry and shrink and the seeds become clearly visible you can bring them in and dry them (none of mine are harvestable yet, but if you are anything like me you are bound to miss a few so will also have some backups which may do better than you expect.)  ;)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 17:51 »
Trouble is I made the decision to save them rather late, and the crop was late anyway because of the foul weather earlier in the year. The big pods I'm talking about are well swollen but still quite fleshy, not even thinking about drying.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 19:31 »
Trouble is I made the decision to save them rather late, and the crop was late anyway because of the foul weather earlier in the year. The big pods I'm talking about are well swollen but still quite fleshy, not even thinking about drying.

I'd pull some off and leave them somewhere in the dry as a back-up. The rest can then take their chances but watch out that they don't begin to rot where they hang if it continues to be wet.

Mine are still on the plot waiting for me to visit (if I can remember where it is!!  :( )
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 19:32 »
Yup, same again (again) Shokkyy!

As ever, one does one's best and then it's down to luck, although I'm not saying I won't be doing my Rumpelstiltskin impression if I have to actually buy some seeds next year!  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 20:34 »
you could cut the string, or pull them off their canes, and hang them to dry in your shed  ;)

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 22:18 »
Frost will not hurt the seeds at all.

I let mine dry completely on the plant and harvest the pods from now until December when I burn the dead foliage.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 23:00 »
sorry to jump in but can I ask if runners cross fertilise. I have White Lady and Scarlet Emperor close to each other - will seed be true to kind if I save it??
R

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 23:07 »
sorry to jump in but can I ask if runners cross fertilise. I have White Lady and Scarlet Emperor close to each other - will seed be true to kind if I save it??
R
It's unlikely as runners are insect pollinated  ;)

They'll still be edible runner beans though - it just depends how fussy you are  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 00:48 »
Frost will not hurt the seeds at all.

I let mine dry completely on the plant and harvest the pods from now until December when I burn the dead foliage.

Frost isn't a problem but too much wet can cause decay.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05 »
Frost isn't a problem but too much wet can cause decay.

Indeed some of the beans I grew for drying are showing signs of just rotting rather than drying :(

Even picked and brought inside to dry many are showinf signs of rot. Think I'll have to just pick shell and freeze before they get a chance to rot  :dry:

I'll need new seeds to grow next year though  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 00:47 »

Even picked and brought inside to dry many are showinf signs of rot. Think I'll have to just pick shell and freeze before they get a chance to rot  :dry:

I'll need new seeds to grow next year though  :(

Let's hope the seed producers are having better luck or the prices will rocket.  :( But, there again, have they sent out catalogues for next season yet?  :unsure:

xx
Saving Runner bean seeds

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2023, 10:09
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Saving runner bean seeds

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2022, 18:37
by Growster...
xx
Saving bean seed for next year

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 12:58
by Salmo
xx
Saving climbing french bean seed

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 17:21
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.